Get detailed information about possible causes of Outlook file corruption in this blog post. Learn about the best software to help fix these issues.
Outlook ost/pst file corruption is a common problem when working with Outlook and thus cannot be ignored. You may find it impossible to open a file and instead get error messages. Examples of error messages include, Outlook Windows cannot open, Outlook data file is damaged, Data file can’t be opened, Microsoft Outlook cannot start, The file is not an Outlook data file, and so on.
That’s an indication that the file is corrupt. It could be a result of various reasons, some of which are listed below.
- When a virus attacks your system. The virus slows down the running of programs in your computer and damages outlook data files.
- Using the wrong software to compress your PST files can corrupt them.
- If the size of your PST file is too large, then some of it may become inaccessible. Note that there is a permissible size that a PST file should take.
- When you use a different Outlook version then change back to 2016 one, the new folder corrupts the previous version.
- If your hard disk has bad segments, Outlook files can become inaccessible.
It’s also necessary that you know how to fix such issues when they arise. Just because data becomes corrupt doesn’t mean it’s the end and you have to start anew. Here are details on how to repair corrupt Outlook ost/pst files.
How to Repair Damaged Outlook ost/pst Files
Use the Inbox Repair Tool SCANPST.EXE
MS Office comes with a built-in repair tool purposely for recovering damaged Outlook data files. SCANPST.EXE is the built-in tool that helps fix some of the issues and errors hindering MS Outlook from function correctly. All MS Outlook versions have it and are downloaded to your computer when you install MS Office or MS Outlook applications. For instance, to get to the location of this inbox repair tool in MS Outlook 2013, C:/Program files>Microsoft Office>Office 15. Close any Outlook Programs that may be open in your computer before proceeding to repair.
- Go to SCAPST.EXE location and double-click it.
- A window will pop up, ‘Microsoft Outlook Window Repair Tool.’
- Click Browse to select your corrupt PST file.
- After you select the file, it will show in the edit box. Click start to begin scanning.
- The process only takes a few seconds, after which you will get a report of all issues and errors found, if any.
- Click on the Repair button to fix the scanned PST file.
- Within a few minutes, you’ll get the message, “Repair Complete.”
SCANPST.EXE helps repair files, but it can’t help recover all your PST files if severely damaged. It only helps fix minor issues. That’s why you should consider using other repair tools.
Use Third-Party Repair Tools
Other software can help you out when you have problems accessing your Outlook ost/pst files. If you don’t want to put your Outlook data at risk of loss, or if these manual processes seem complicated, consider downloading software such as DataNumen Outlook Repair. It is a free recovery tool that will help you recover your emails, contacts, journals, posts, appointments, by minimizing loss in data file corruption.