When you use Microsoft Outlook to open a corrupt personal folders (PST) file, you will see various error messages, which may be a bit confusing to you. Therefore, here we will try to list all possible errors, sorted according to their occurring frequency. For each error, we will describe its symptom, explain its precise reason and give a sample file as well as the file fixed by our Outlook recovery tool DataNumen Outlook Repair, so that you can understand them better. Below we will use ‘filename.pst’ to express your corrupt Outlook PST file name.
- The file xxxx.pst is not a personal folders file.
- Errors have been detected in the file xxxx.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool(Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.
- Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- The file xxxx.pst could not be found.
- Unable to display the folder. The file xxxx.pst could not be accessed.
- xxxx.pst can not be accessed – 0x80040116.
- File xxxx.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check.
- Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file xxxx.pst cannot be opened.
- Can’t move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied.
- Can’t move the items. Could not Move the item. The original was either moved or deleted, or access was denied.
- Can’t move the items. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.
- Some items cannot be moved. They were either already moved or deleted, or access was denied.
- Outlook PST/OST file is slow or unresponsive.
Although Microsoft provides Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to fix problems in corrupt PST files, it cannot work for most of the cases. Blow are frequently encountered problems when Inbox Repair Tool fail to work:
- The Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file xxxx.pst…
- An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use ScanDisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox Repair tool again.
- An unknown error prevented access to the file. Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
- An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped. No changes have been made to the scanned file.
- The Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) gets stuck indefinitely and fails to execute the repair.
- The PST file repaired by the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst) is either empty or lacks the desired items.
- Fatal Error 80040818
- Scanpst reports “An unknown error prevented access to the file. Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”.
- Data loss when using Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to repair corrupt PST files.
Additionally, while using Microsoft Outlook, you may frequently run into the following issues that can be effortlessly resolved with DataNumen Outlook Repair:
- Oversized PST file (file size >= 2GB).
- Delete Outlook messages and other objects by mistake.
- Forget or lose the password or login information for the PST file.
In addition, when you using your mobile phone to synchronize the data with the Microsoft Outlook on your desktop, you may also lost emails and others items due to the synchronization errors or software defects. In such a case, you can also use DataNumen Outlook Repair to recover the lost items.
Sometimes, when you encounter an Outlook problem, it is a little difficult to determine the real reason. In such a case, you can diagnose the problem step by step and find out what is wrong with your Outlook.