Outlook has a default folder for saving templates. But at times, it is a bit hard for us to find it. So why not change the folder for saving Outlook templates to your custom one? This article will look at the issue and offer the quickest method.
I have customized a file folder to store my Outlook templates. I intend to save all of my templates in this folder. However, when creating templates, I don’t know how to change the saving folder. After a while, I find that there is no option within Outlook to change the default saving folder. I have to make changes to a specific registry value. Here are elaborate steps.
Change the Default Folder for Saving Outlook Templates
- In the first place, you should ensure Outlook has been closed thoroughly and head to “Start Menu”.
- Then type “regedit” in search box and press “Enter” key button.
- After that, you may see a popup Windows prompt of “User Account Control”, in which you could press “Yes” button.
- Next in Registry Editor, you should proceed to find out the following registry keys in order: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” > “Software” > “Microsoft” > “Office” > “<version>” > “Common” > “General”.
Note: In regards to “version” variable, for instance, if you are using Outlook 2010, you need to locate “14.0”.
- Later you need to create a new string value under “General” key. Right click on “General” and choose “New” > “REG_SZ” from the context menu.
- Turn to the right pane, and designate it as “UserTemplates”. Double click it, which will open a dialog box of “Edit String”. In it, you can specify its data.
- Firstly go to File Explorer to find the folder where you hope to save the templates. Hit the folder icon in address bar. Then copy the path by “Ctrl + C” keyboard button.
- Then go back to Registry Editor and press “Ctrl +V” to paste the path in “Value Data” field.
- Finally click “OK” and exit Registry Editor.
From now on, when saving templates, Outlook will open your specified folder in Registry Editor by default.
Extra Tips: Quickly Open the Outlook Templates
Generally Speaking, when you need to access our custom templates, you have to open “Choose Form” dialog first. Without a doubt, it is blazing troublesome. Here are 2 tips to improve the efficiency.
- Drag and drop the folder for saving templates or the templates to Outlook Shortcuts navigation pane.
- Add your frequently used templates to the Outlook jump list. You can refer to our previous article – “How to Improve Your Efficiency by Adding Often-Used Templates to Outlook Jump List”.
Extract Maximum Data from Corrupted PST Files
When you realize Outlook’s vulnerability, you must leave no stone unturned to prevent Outlook corruptions. However, more often than not, you will fail. Hence, apart from precautions, we should make preparations for unanticipated damage, including regular backups and a practiced PST recovery tool, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair. Thanks to its high recovery rate, it has shouldered over most of its rivals.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com