This article looks into 3 working ways to fix the problem of incorrect icon for Word application and associated documents.
Now and then some of you may bump into the issue of Word desktop icon displaying abnormally, such as below:
Yet, you have no idea of what you have done to get yourself into such a situation. Sometimes you may be able to open these files, but you just don’t feel right. So here we are to inform you the causes as well as solutions to the issue in the environment of Windows 7.
Method 1: Connect to a Right Associated Program
The first reason could be the file fails to connect to Word program. Here are steps for you to rectify it.
- Firstly, right click on the file.
- Then choose “Open with” on the list-menu. Now you should see if “Microsoft Word” is on the extend menu.
- If you don’t see it, you should click “Choose default program” option.
- And now you have opened the “Open with” dialog box. Choose “Microsoft Word” in “Recommended Programs”. In case you can’t find it, you can click the “Browse” button on the right-down corner to find Word program manually.
- Then remember to check “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” box.
- And finally, click “OK”.
Method 2: Refresh Windows Icons
The second reason could be an error in Windows icons. So you can try to refresh them with following instructions.
- To begin with, click “Start”.
- Then, click “Control Panel”.
- Next click “Appearance”.
- And continue to click “Display”.
- Now choose “Medium-125%”.
- Next click “Apply” button.
- You will receive a warning message. Click “Log off now” in the “Microsoft Windows” dialog box.
- Now log in your computer again and you shall find everything is back on track. Now you just repeat the first 4 steps first.
- Then this time choose “Smaller-100%”.
- And click “Apply” to change the icon size back to default.
Method 3: Repair Microsoft Office
If the above two methods fail to solve your headache, something wrong could happen to Microsoft Office. So you might as well start repairing it.
- At first, press “Windows+ R” to open “Run” window.
- Then enter “regedit” in “Open” text box.
- And click “OK”.
- Now you will open the “Registry Editor”. Then for Word 2007 and 2010 users, you should find the following keys and delete them:
And for Word 2003 users, you should find and delete the following keys:
Note: Before you delete these keys, you can take a backup first. Just right click on them, then choose “Export” and find a save location.
- Close “Registry Editor” when you finish the above step. Then click “Start”.
- Next still click “Control Panel”.
- Then click “Programs”.
- Next go to “Program and Features”.
- Now you are at the “Uninstall or change a program” page. Go to find your Microsoft Office version you use and right click on it.
- Then choose “Change”.
- Now in the dialog box pops up, just choose “Repair”.
- Then click “Continue” to wait for configuration progress to finish.
Make Sure Your File Still Works
To sum up, you have taken in 3 ways to fix the icon problem. Though, we mentioned you can open some files in unknown icon, you cannot be lucky all the time. The truth is when your Word icon display abnormally, your file is very much in danger too. Therefore, this is the time when you will need a damaged Word repair tool
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including xlsx damage repair tool and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com