In this article, we will propose you 3 quick ways to sum numbers in your Word table along with the methods to update values.
It’s been a universal knowledge that we can easily sum numbers in table cells in Excel. As a matter of fact, Word is capable of this function too. To know quick ways to sum a column or a row of numbers in Word table definitely can save us much time.
Before introducing the detailed steps, you should aware that the rule to name a cell is exact the same as that of Excel. So “R” stands for “Row”, and “C” for “Column”. For example, “R1C2” refers to the cell in first row and second column.
Now let’s move on to see what these clever methods are.
Method 1: Use “Formula”
- First of all, put your cursor in the cell where the value goes. For instance, here we put it in “R2C4” cell.
- Then, click “Layout” tab under “Table Tools”.
- Next, click “Formula” in “Data” group.
- In “Formula” dialog box, you can see “=SUM(LEFT)” in “Formula” text box. It means Word will sum all numbers in the left of “R2C4”. Likewise, if you want to sum a column of numbers, the formula will display as “=SUM(ABOVE)”.
- Then continue to click the drop-down button and choose a number format for the value.
- Finally, click “OK” and you will get the result in target cell.
Besides, if you need to sum a series of intermittent cells, you should input the exact cells’ names between the parentheses of formula, and separate them with comma. For example, the formula to sum “R2C2” and “R2C4” should be “=SUM(R2C2, R2C4)”.
Method 2: Insert a Field
- Firstly, place cursor properly as in method 1.
- Then press “Ctrl+ F9” to insert a field in the cell.
- Next input formula. For instance, to sum “R2C2” and “R2C3”, the formula should be “= R2C2+ R2C3”.
- Lastly, press “F9” and you can get a value.
Method 3: Use “Sum” Command
- To begin with, you’d better add “Sum” command to “Quick Access Toolbar”. Just start with clicking “File”.
- Then choose “Options”.
- In “Word Options” dialog box, choose “Quick Access Toolbar”.
- And choose “Commands Not in the Ribbon” in “Choose commands from” list-menu.
- Then find and click “Sum” command.
- Next, click “Add”.
- And never forget to click “OK”.
- The next thing is to position cursor in the right cell.
- And click “Sum” command on “Quick Access Toolbar”.
2 Methods to Update Values
It’s understandable that numbers in a table shall change overtime. At that time, to update the sum value should come to your top priority. Here are 2 ways to save you from manually updating values.
Method 1: Press “F9”
- First you select the table by clicking the plus sign on the upper-left corner.
- Then press “F9” to update.
However, this method is not that ideal when it comes to a document containing a large number of tables. So the alternative way is to use VBA codes.
Method 2: Use VBA Codes
- Firstly, make sure you have “Developer” tab available in the Ribbon. If not, please refers to this article: How to Insert Background Music into Your Word Document
- Click “Developer” and click “Visual Basic” in “Code” group.
- Now you will have the VBA editor open. On the “Project Explorer” left-side, find and double click “ThisDocument” to open code editing area on the right.
- Next, you can copy and paste the following codes there.
Sub UpdateFields() If ActiveDocument.Fields.Count > 0 Then ActiveDocument.Fields.Update Else MsgBox ("There is no field in this document.") End If End Sub
- Lastly, click “Run”.
Comparison of 3 Methods to Sum Numbers
|Method 1: Use “Formula”||1. You can sum a row or column of numbers.
2. You can choose a number format.
3. It has default formula to sum a row or column of numbers, so you don’t need to enter formula.
|It requires more steps comparatively.|
|Method 2: Insert a Field||1. You can sum a row or column of numbers.
2. Fewer steps comparatively
|1. You can’t choose a number format.
2. You have to enter formula manually.
|Method 3: Use “Sum” Command||1. Fewer steps comparatively
2. You don’t have to enter formula manually.
|3. You can only sum a column of numbers.
4. You can’t choose a number format.
Address File Corruption Problem Smartly
Once a file gets corrupted, most people know that they should run the built-in function in Word to repair their file. However, this built-in function fails to meet people’s need sometimes. Then the smart way is to choose a specialized Word file corruption repair tool. With such a powerful tool at hand, you shall have no concern for losing files.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including xlsx repair product and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com