In this article, we will offer you 2 ways to get rid of “Configuration Progress” window every time you open Word.
When open Word, you may encounter with the “Configuration Progress” window.
First of all, let’s take a look at when this problem will present.
- Situation 1 is that you install more than one version of Word on your computer. Then you are likely to come across the “Configuration Progress” window, when you switch from one to another. This is pretty understandable.
- Situation 2 is that you install only one version of Word on your computer. Yet, the headache can still happen to you.
Obviously, this can cost you much extra time. And I bet you must want to know how to fix it. Then here you are. In the content below, we will use examples under Windows 7.
Method 1: Edit the Registry
- First and foremost, press “Window+ R” to open the “Run” window.
- Then, enter “regedit” in “Open” text box.
- Next, click “OK”.
- Now you will be greeted with a security message just as below:
Just click “Yes”.
- In “Registry Editor”, first you need find the following keys accordingly:
For Word 2010, you should look for the following keys:
For Word 2007, you should look for the following keys:
For Word 2003, you should look for the following keys:
- Now you can see all the values stored in “Options” folder. Next, right click on the empty place.
- Choose “New”.
- And, choose “DWORD (32-bit) Value” on the expand list.
- Now name the new value as “NoRereg”.
- Then, right click on the new value.
- Choose “Modify” to edit the value.
- Input “1” as value data.
- Then, choose “Hexadecimal”.
- Lastly, click “OK”.
Generally, to edit the registry of one version is enough to address the problem. However, if the headache remains, you can edit all the registries of different Word versions.
Method 2: Alter Windows Program Files
- Firstly, storage location of program files of different Word versions vary a bit.
Therefore, for Word 2010, you should go to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller
For Word 2007, you should go to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller
For Word 2003, you should go to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11\Office Setup Controller
Here we take version 2007 as an example.
- Then find the “SETUP” application and right click on it.
- Next choose “Rename”.
You can add some letters or numbers to the original name. For instance, we can rename it as “SETUP123”.
Comparison of 2 Methods
|Edit the Registry||It works for both situation 1 and 2.||1. It requires more steps.
2. Sometimes you may have to edit all registries of Word.
|Alter Windows Program Files||It requires fewer steps.||It works only for situation 2.|
Be Cautious about Word Errors
Word is capable of so many features. But we can’t ignore an upsetting fact that Word is not foolproof. Since we cannot guarantee our every operation, the tragedy of losing critical files happens all the time. Therefore it’s important to have a Word error repair tool.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including xls damage repair tool and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com