When you insert header or footer to your document, Word voluntarily adds a black horizontal line to the header or footer. This article will show you how to get rid of it.
Sometimes, you may find an unwanted horizontal line after you insert header or footer to your Word, just like this:
However, Word does not allow you to highlight or select it, and therefore you cannot easily get rid of them. To remove these unwanted lines quickly, you can refer to the following instructions.
Method 1: Remove the Line Together with other Formattings
In this section, we will first present you with a simple way to remove these horizontal lines. However, using this way, you will also remove other formatting in the header or footer, such us text centering.
- Double click on the header to starting editing.
- On the “Home” tab, click on “More Options” button in the “Styles” group.
- Select “Clear Formatting” in the drop down list.
- After doing so, you will be able to remove the horizontal line in the header manually. Double click at the header again to stop editing.
Method 2: Remove the Line but Retain other Formattings
If you want to delete the blank horizontal line only, but in the meantime retain other formatting in the headers, you can refer to this method.
- Go to “Home” tab on the ribbon.
- Click on “Bottom Board” drop down list, and then select “Boards and Shading”.
- Word displays the “Boards” tab of the “Boards and Shading” dialog box, click on “None” under settings.
- Make sure you select “Paragraph” under apply to. And then click “OK”.
- In this way, you will be able to remove only the horizontal line in the header, while you can retain other formatting in your header. Double click at the header again to stop editing.
Word can Sometimes Corrupt Unexpectedly
Anyway, we can finally get rid of the unwanted horizontal lines in the header of our Word. As many of us know, Word offer a numerous of useful functionalities to help us in our studies and works. However, problems arise when our Word attacked by malware and virus . As our Word can be compromised unexpectedly, we therefore need to take hold of a powerful word recovery tool, so that we can be assured to recover our data when some accidents occur.
Kelly Zhao is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com