In this article, there are 2 effectual ways for you to batch insert multiple pictures into your Word document via mail merge.
When create credentials, we often need to insert pictures. However, we can’t possibly insert pictures into Excel file directly, thus while using mail merge in Word, it’s unlikely to get the corresponding images. To solve this issue, the following 2 methods are exactly what you will need.
Method 1: Place Picture Location into Excel File
- First and foremost, in your source Excel file, insert a new column to put the location of your pictures. And remember to replace the “\” in file path with “\\”, such as below:
- Then open Word and finish all other editing.
- Click “Mailings” tab.
- Then click “Select Recipients” and choose “Use Existing List”.
- Now in the “Select Data Source” window, select the file and click “Open”.
- Next, click “OK” in “Confirm Data Source” dialog box.
- Then in “Select Table” dialog box, select the right worksheet and click “OK”.
- Now place cursor at the position where picture should go and click “Insert” tab.
- Next click “Quick Parts” and choose “Field”.
- In “Field” dialog box, choose “IncludePicture” for field name.
- Then in “Field properties” text box, enter anything, such as “pic” here.
- Click “OK”.
- Now you can’t see the picture. Click on the picture and press “Alt+ F9” to toggle to field codes.
- Select the “pic” you just input and click “Mailings” tab.
- Then click “Insert Merge Field” and choose the right field. In this case, it shall be “Pic”.
- Press “Alt+ F9” to toggle field codes and you still can’t see the picture now. However, you can still resize the picture.
- After this, click “Finish& Merge” under “mailings” tab.
- Then choose “Edit Individual Documents”.
- Next, click “OK” in “Merge to New Document” dialog box.
- Now press “Ctrl+ A” and press “F9”. You shall see the picture then.
Method 2: Place Picture Name into Excel File
- First, place all picture in one file folder and make sure they are of the same file format, such as the “.jpg” file.
- This time in Excel file, you should place picture name instead its location there.
- Repeat from step 2 to 7 in method 1 to finish inserting other fields.
- Then place cursor at the positon for picture.
- Press “Ctrl+ F9” to insert a field. Between the field brackets, enter IncludePicture “C:\\test\\.jpg”. The “C:\\test\\” refers to the picture location.
- Next put cursor right before “.jpg” and click “Insert Merge Field” and then choose right field.
- Now you will find the field is invisible. You can press “Alt+ F9” to check the field codes.
- Repeat from step 17 to 20 in method 1.
Enhance Your File Protection
There are probably hundreds of thousands of valuable files stored on your computer. That means you have hundreds of thousands of chances to have your file damaged due to internal or external factors. Thus it’s of high importance to fortify those files by taking regular backups or running anti-virus program on devices. Also you may have to get a docx file fix tool in advance in case your files just get corrupted.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including damaged xls repair tool and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com