In this article, we will show you 2 ways to add ScreenTips to the texts in your Word document.
Now and then, we will have to add some descriptive words to explain the text in Word document. And one way is to insert a comment. Yet comments can be really conspicuous and even mess up the document look sometimes.
It is therefore that we want to enlighten you the ways to add ScreenTip to text in your Word document. Once you add a ScreenTip to text, you can view descriptive words on a small window whenever you place your pointer on the text.
Following are 2 methods:
Method 1: Insert a Hyperlink
- First and foremost, select the text to which you want to add a ScreenTip.
- Then, click “Insert” tab.
- Next, click “Hyperlink” in “Links” group.
- Now you will open “Insert Hyperlink” dialog box. And in “Text to display” text box is the text you just select. Next, move to the “Address” text box. You can input anything here, such as a short string “Not a valid address”, or a related Internet address, such as https://www.datanumen.com/word-repair/. For either case, you must input something, otherwise you will not be able to click the “OK” button and proceed. In our case, we will enter a link.
- Then click “ScreenTip” button on the right-upper corner.
- And now in “Set Hyperlink ScreenTip” dialog box, you should type the descriptive words in “ScreenTip” text box.
- Next click “OK”.
- Remember to click “OK” in “Insert Hyperlink” dialog box.
- Now you can see the text color turns into blue and there is an underline. When you move your pointer on the text, you can see the ScreenTip text.
- Certainly, you can change the font color and remove the underline. You need select the text again.
- Then right click.
- Choose “Font” option.
- In “Font” dialog box, choose “Automatic” for “Font color”.
- And choose “none” for “Underline style”.
- Then click “OK”.
Now you can achieve the bellowing result:
Method 2: Insert an Endnote
- Firstly, put cursor behind the text.
- Secondly, click “References”.
- Then click “Insert Endnote” in “Footnotes” group.
- Now you will see there is a Greek numeral “i” in Superscript behind the text. And your cursor will jump to the endnote area automatically. Just enter your notes.
- Then if you move your cursor on the Greek numeral “i”, you will see the endnote on ScreenTip.
- Furthermore, if you double click the Greek numeral, you can immediately go to the endnote area to change notes.
- Similarly, in case you don’t want endnote to compromise your document look, you can hide the Greek numeral as well as the endnote.
- Select the numeral.
- Repeat step 11 and 12 in method 1.
- Only this time choose “White” for “Font color” in “Font” dialog box. The color chosen here should be as same as the background color of your document.
- Click “OK”.
- Now right the numeral.
- Choose “Styles” first.
- Then choose “Update Endnote Reference to Match Selection”.
Now you cannot see the numeral behind text and the one in endnote, too.
- You can employ the same way to hide endnote. When you need to print the document but not the endnote, you can press “Ctrl+ Enter” to move the endnote to another page and choose not to print it.
Comparison of 2 Methods
|Insert a Hyperlink||
You can add ScreenTip to both texts and images with this method.
|1. There is a hint on the ScreenTip window, leading you to follow the link, which is not necessary.
2. You have to go to the “Insert hyperlink” dialog box to edit the ScreenTip text, which is not convenient.
3. You may have to change the text color and remove the underline.
4. You cannot print the ScreenTip text.
|Insert an Endnote||1. You can easily edit the endnote.
2. You can also print the endnote which is the same as ScreenTip text.
3. There are no extra words on ScreenTip.
|1. You cannot add ScreenTip to images with this method.
2. You may have to hide the numerals or endnote if they compromise your document look.
How to Address File Corruption Problem
Once a Word file gets corrupted, you should try to salvage it as soon as possible. When the situation is not severe, you can utilize the built-in repair function in Word first. And if the file gets damaged in a very bad way, you should really consider getting a specialized tool to repair doc.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including xls file recovery tool and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com