We can create a drop-down list in Word, so that we just need to click on it to choose from a group of predefined options. This article will then introduce how to do that.
Typically, when we are working on Word document, we need to type in texts manually. However, Word also allows us to create drop down lists that provide predefined options, so that all we need to do is just clicking on it. In this article, we will mainly talk about how to implement such a feature.
Create a Drop-down List
You cannot simply copy and paste a cell with drop down list from Excel worksheet to your Word. Instead, you need add items to the drop-down form field in Word, so that you will be able to select one of the options from that field. In this section, we will specify how to do it.
- Head to “File” menu, and click on “Options”.
- In the Following dialog, switch to “Customize Ribbon”, and select “Commands Not in the Ribbon” under “Choose Command from” drop down list. And then select “Insert form field”.
- On the right hand of the window, click “New Group” and then click on “Add”.
- In this way, you will be able to insert an “Insert form field” button on the main tabs. Finally, click “OK”.
- Put your cursor at the place where you want to insert a drop down list.
- Click on the “Insert form field” button we just added.
- Choose “Drop-down” under “Type”, and then click “OK” to save it.
- Return to the Word page, you will find the inserted filed and then double click to edit it.
- In the following “Drop-Down Form Field Options” dialog box, enter the items under “Drop-down items” box, and then click “Add”. The inserted items will be displayed under “Items in drop-down list”.
- Make sure you tick the “Drop-Down enabled” box, and then click “Ok”.
- Follow the same steps above to add the “Lock” button under “Commands Not in the Ribbon”. Click on it to lock the drop-down list. By clicking at the drop-down arrow, you can then select an item from the drop-down list.
Make Use of External Repair Tools
As is mentioned above, Word offers an advanced feature to allow us create a drop-down list in our document. Despite its powerful functionalities, Word is vulnerable to damages and corruptions. Therefore, it is a good idea to take advantage of external doc repair tool, which boasts of a multitude of features that few other repair tools possess.
Kelly Zhao is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com