Some people would like to store their Outlook data files in other location instead of the default one by Outlook. This article will offer the detailed methods to change it.
I have created a separate folder for my Outlook data files. In this situation, I can easily locate them when desiring without needs to use “Open File Location” button in Outlook. Here are my techniques to change the default location for Outlook data files.
Change “ForcePSTPath” Registry Value
- To start with, turn to “Start Menu” and search “regedit”.
- Press “Enter” to open Registry Editor.
- Then locate the following registry keys in order: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” > “Software” > “Microsoft” > “Office” > “<version>” > “Outlook”.
- Right click “Outlook” key. Select “New” and then “Expandable String Value” from the right click menu.
- Next in the right pane, name the new value as “ForcePSTPath”.
- Later double click the value to edit its data. Copy your desired folder path in “Value data” field.
- Click “OK” to save the changed value data and exit the Registry Editor.
- Finally reboot your computer.
Since you completed the above steps, the new PST files created later will position in this location automatically. In addition, you should note that the previous PST files will be located in the original place. You need to change their location manually.
If Using an Exchange Account
Though this registry value is called as “ForcePSTPath”, it also applies to the OST file of exchange accounts. If you would like to set another location for OST file, you need to create and change another registry key – “ForceOSTPath” through the same steps as “ForcePSTPath”.
If Using an IMAP Account
Furthermore, you should notice that changing this registry key won’t affect the default location for PST file of IMAP accounts. If you wish to change it, you will be required to use Symbolic Links, which is much more complicated.
Beware of All Potential Risks in Outlook
Due to its myriad capabilities, Outlook is touted as the most popular email client in the market. However, if you’ve used Outlook for a long time, you must have realized that it is the same vulnerable to various malicious factors as its peers. Thus, it’s necessary for users to improve their awareness of potential risks, like spams, external links and suspicious files from unknown contacts, such that users can greatly reduce the possibility of Outlook corruptions. Besides, keeping a potent repair tool, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair, in vicinity is also a matter of necessity. In case that users encounter Outlook crashes, this tool can come in handy to repair Outlook in time.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com