This article will introduce how to enable multiple persons to edit the same Word file simultaneously with Microsoft OneDrive.
From time to time, when you are out of town to have a meeting, there is the need to access a Word file online together with many others and even work on it at the same time. Based on this requirement, Microsoft OneDrive now can offer you a way out. Please read on to find out.
Steps to Prepare File Sharing
In this article, we will take an example of editing a sharing file on Microsoft OneDrive with two Email accounts, A and B, at the same time.
- Firstly, use your account, let’s say account A, to sign in Microsoft OneDrive.
- Then click “New” on the upper-left of the webpage.
- Next choose “Folder” on the list menu.
- Then type a folder name in the text box of “Folder”.
- Click “Create”.
- Now right click the newly created folder.
- Choose “Share” on the menu.
- You can see there are many ways to share this file. Just choose one according to your need. Here we will go “Email”.
- Now input the Email account in the text box. Here we should type account B that is the account which has the permission to edit on this file. Certainly, you can type more than one account here.
- Click “Share” button.
Steps to Upload Sharing File
- First thing, open the file which you want to share.
- Then click “File” tab.
- Next click “Save& Send” option.
- Choose “Save to Web”.
- Then on the right side, click “Sign In” icon.
- Now a sign in box will pop up. Enter E-mail address of account A.
- Then enter password.
- Next click “OK”.
- Now you can see the “sharing file” folder. Click it.
- Then click the “Save As” icon below.
- Now the “Contacting Server” dialog box will pop up. Just wait a few seconds.
- And now there will be a “Save As” window. Click “Save”.
- Now you have successfully upload a file to the “sharing file” folder, such as below:
Work on the Sharing File at the Same Time
- If another person sign in Microsoft OneDrive with account B, he can click to open the “sharing file” folder.
- Then right click the file.
- And choose “Open in Word Online” or “Open in Word”.
- If choosing “Open in Word Online”, both A and B can know who are working on the file currently and where they are editing right now, such as below:
On the upper-right side of the webpage, you can see the number of people who are editing on this file. And there are colored flags appear in the file, showing certain locations are unavailable for editing because another person is working here.
- Another thing for you to know is that the system will save all the changes automatically. To ease your concern. You can click “File” tab.
- Then click “Save As”.
- Choose one way to save your file.
- If choosing “Open in Word”, you can see update signs on the “Save” button as well as on the area edited. Click “Save”.
- A few seconds later, you will see the “Microsoft Word” dialog box. Click “OK”.
Now you can see the edited part in highlight.
Keep the Danger of File Corruption in Mind
The method we explain here offers us a lot of convenience. Yet you cannot deny the potential risk of getting file corrupted. In such a case, you will definitely need a backup. On the other hand , you must know how to recover word when it shuts down.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com