In today’s article, we decide to promise you 6 different methods to create a table in your Word document.
Naturally, when you come across multiple numbers in Word document, the first thing occurs to your mind is to create a table. Certainly, a table in Word document can offer you a place to put and arrange many numbers in a clear and quick manner.
Therefore we will provide you 6 distinct ways to successfully insert a table in Word document. And among these 6 tips, you may already employ some of them in your day to day work. Meanwhile, there are also new quick ways. Hopefully, you can read on to find out more.
Method 1: Use Cursor to Choose a Number of Cells
- To begin with, place your cursor properly at the position you want to insert a table.
- And click “Insert” on the “Menu Bar”.
- Then click “Table”.
- Next on the drop-down menu, you can see a bunch of cells in the first “Insert Table” part. Now move your cursor over them to select a proper size for your table.
- Finally when you are sure of a size, just click mouse and you can get a table of the exact size you just choose.
Method 2: Use “Insert Table” Option
- Firstly, repeat from step 1 to step 3 in method 1.
- Now you click “Insert Table” on the drop-down menu.
- The “Insert Table” dialog box will pop up. And choose a number for “Number of columns”.
- Then choose a number for “Number of rows”.
- Next. in “AutoFit behavior” part, choose one option accordingly.
- Finally, click “OK”.
Now you have got a table as below:
Method 3: Draw a Table
- Again repeat from step 1 to step 3 in method 1.
- Yet, only this time click “Draw Table” option.
- Now you cursor shall change into a pen. Drag it to draw table borders.
- Finally. when finish it, just double click the empty area outside the table to exit drawing.
Check the video below:
Method 4: Insert an Excel Spreadsheet
- Still repeat from step 1 to step 3 in method 1.
- Then on the drop-down menu of “Table”, click “Excel Spreadsheet”.
- Now you will see an Excel window opens. You can type your data into the sheet.
- After finishing this, click empty area outside the sheet to switch back to Word document window.
Method 5: Choose a Table from “Quick Tables”
- Repeat from step 1 to step 3 in method 1.
- Click “Quick Tables” option on the drop-down menu of “Table”.
- Then choose a table style from built-in templates.
- Next go to delete the original data.
- And type your own ones.
Method 6: Use “Tab” Key
To use “Tab” key to create a table should take the help from “AutoFormat” option. This means you have to add “AutoFormat” option to “Quick Access Toolbar” first.
Steps to Add “AutoFormat” to “Quick Access Toolbar”
- Firstly click “File”.
- Then click “Options” to open “Word Options” window.
- Next, click “Quick Access Toolbar”.
- Then choose “Commands Not in the Ribbon” in the box of “Choose commands from”.
- And choose “AutoFormat” option in the list boxes.
- Click “Add” button in the middle of the window.
- Finally, click “OK”.
Now before starting using the option, you have to set the settings a little. Following are detailed steps:
Set the “AutoFormat” Option
- First thing click the “AutoFormat” option on the “Quick Access Toolbar”.
- Next in “AutoFormat” dialog box, choose “AutoFormat now”.
- Then click “Options” button.
- Now click “AutoFormat As You Type” in “AutoCorrect” dialog box.
- Check “Tables” box in “Apply as you type” group boxes.
- And click “OK”.
- At last click “OK” again when you go back to “AutoFormat” dialog box.
How to Use “Tab” Key to Create a Table
- Firstly, put cursor at the place where a table goes.
- Then press a series of plus and minus signs, such as below:
Notice: You should always make sure a plus sign is at the end of the line. Otherwise, you won’t get a table. For example, the following sample is not right:
- Now press “Enter”. You shall be able to achieve such effect:
- Next, place cursor behind the row of cells.
- And press “Tab” to add a new row of cells.
- So you can get such a table when repeat step 4 and step 5 for several times.
Comparison of 6 Methods
|Use Cursor to Choose a Number of Cells||It’s the quickest way to get a small table intuitively. Best option for novice.||1. You can only get 10×8 size table at maximum.
2. You need to adjust the table size manually.
|Use “Insert Table” Option||1. You can get a table at any size.
2. You can control the table size precisely.
|Sometimes the table size is not large enough to accommodate inputted data due to incorrect estimation, and you need to adjust the table size manually.|
|Draw a Table||You can draw a table of any type without adjusting cell width and height.||It’s time-consuming to draw a table with large size.|
|Insert an Excel Spreadsheet||You can utilize existing Excel tables easily.||1. You need to know Excel.
2. You have to double click to enter the Excel window to deal with the data.
|Choose a Table from “Quick Tables”||You can quickly get a table with an elegant style.||You have to change a bit to fit your own need, such as deleting the original data in the table.|
|Use “Tab” Key||You can get identical rows of cells as many as you like in a quick way.||1. You have to add and set the “AutoFormat” option first.
2. You need to know the characters used for creating the table.
Be Well-armed to Word Crash
Word can crash in seconds because of various reasons. Therefore, to prevent from severe file loss, it would be wise to take several backups beforehand and store them properly. At the same time, to get a professional doc repair tool is another excellent choice.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com