In this article, we would like to present you 5 different practical ways to follow a hyperlink in your Word document.
Speaking of opening a hyperlink in Word document, perhaps everyone knows more than one way to do that task. True. It’s not complicated to follow the hyperlink linking you to a web page. Today, we collect 5 useful ways for you to pick. After all, it does us no harm to know more.
There are 2 cases in the coming content with different focus.
Case 1: Follow the Screen Tip
First of all, the most used traditional way to open a hyperlink is to follow the screen tip instruction which by default tells you to do “Ctrl+ Click”.
Case 2: Open Hyperlink without Pressing “Ctrl”
In case you just hate to press “Ctrl” while opening the link, here are 4 ways you can resort to.
Method 1: Open Hyperlink on Contextual Menu
- Firstly, right click on a hyperlink you want to open.
- Then choose “Open Hyperlink” on the contextual menu.
Next it shall lead you to the web page to which it linked.
Method 2: Add “Open Hyperlink” to “Quick Access Toolbar”
- To start with, click “File” tab then the “Options” to trigger the “Word Options” dialog box.
- Next, click “Quick Access Toolbar”.
- Then choose “All Commands”.
- Find and select the “Open Hyperlink” command.
- Then click “Add” button.
- Next click “OK” to save the change.
- Now click to place your cursor inside the hyperlink and click the “Open Hyperlink” command.
Method 3: Run a Macro
- First and foremost, put cursor inside the hyperlink.
- Click “Developer” tab.
- Then click “Visual Basic” to open the VBA editor.
- Next click “Normal” and “Insert” in order.
- And select “Module” on the list.
- Then double click on the new module to bring out the coding space.
- Paste the following codes there:
Sub OpenHyperlink() Selection.Range.Hyperlinks(1).Follow End Sub
- Next, click “Run” button.
For later use, you can assign the macro to a button in your Ribbon. Specific steps are in this article: How to Remove the Formatting of Pasted Texts with Macro and VBA in Your Word
Method 4: Open with a Single Click
In case 1, we mentioned that the default way to open a hyperlink in Word is to press “Ctrl” and click on it. Now you have the option to change the default setting and open the link by just one click.
- First off, open “Word Options” dialog box using the instruction in method 2.
- This time click “Advanced” instead.
- Then on the right pane, go to the “Editing options” part and uncheck the “Use CTRL+ Click to follow hyperlink” box.
- Lastly, click “OK”.
Now move cursor over the hyperlink and you shall see the screen tip changes.
Deal with Document Corruption
Word is not a foolproof product. Therefore, once it gets collapse, your files are also on the line. More often than not, they turn out to be broken. It is the time when you are going to need a professional Word file repair utility. Such a program shall help you save files at maximum.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including damaged Excel xls repair tool and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com