This article will mainly focus on showing you to insert a picture which can automatically update itself in Word document.
Inserting picture into Word document has been a common tip for users to make their file attractive. However, when you modify the picture, the one you insert into Word file fails to update accordingly. So you may have to delete the original image and insert the new one into your Word file again. This is definitely not a pleasing way to conduct your work. Therefore we will offer you effective ways to insert a picture into Word document as well as make it update automatically.
Insert a Picture in Usual Ways
Firstly, let’s look at the methods to insert a picture into Word file in usual ways.
Method 1: Use “Insert” Tab
- To begin with, place your cursor right at the position where a picture goes.
- Then click “Insert” tab.
- Next, click “Picture” in “Illustrations” group.
- Now choose a picture in “Insert Picture” window.
- Click “Insert” button to finish the job.
Method 2: Paste a Picture
- Locate the picture you need first.
- Then right click it.
- Choose “Copy”.
- Next right click on your Word document.
- Choose “Paste (P)” option.
Method 3: Drag and Drop
- Similarly, locate the target picture first.
- Then click to select it.
- Drag and drop it on your document.
Insert an Automatically Updating Picture
As we say, inserting pictures in usual ways is not enough for our work sometimes. Then the following two methods can well meet your higher demands.
Method 1: Choose “Link to File”
- First repeat from step 1 to step 4 in “Use ‘Insert’ Tab”.
- Now click the upside-down triangle behind “Insert” button.
- Next choose “Link to File” option on the menu.
When using the above steps to insert a picture, you can go to change the original picture. For example, we add a rectangle mark on the picture, as below:
Now you reopen the documents, and you can see the picture has been updated.
However, this method also has its limitation. If you rename or relocate the original picture, then you won’t be able to view it on your document. Instead you will get the following look on the document:
To overcome the display error, here is another method.
Method 2: Choose “Insert and Link”
- Repeat step 1 and 2 in “Choose ‘Link to File’”.
- Only this time you choose “Insert and Link” option.
Similarly, this method enables you to insert an automatically updating picture. The good thing is that you can still have the original picture on Word document even if you rename and relocate the picture.
Comparison of 5 Methods
|1. Use “Insert” Tab
2. Paste a Picture
3. Drag and Drop
|It’s convenient when you don’t need an updated picture.||You cannot get an updated picture automatically in Word document.|
Choose “Link to File”
|You can always get an updated picture.||You cannot rename or relocate the picture otherwise the picture will not display in Word document.|
Choose “Insert and Link”
|1. You can always get an updated picture.
2. You can always get the original picture even you rename or relocate the picture.
|You cannot get an updated picture if you rename or remove the original picture.|
Deal with File Loss Disaster
As one of the mainstay office programs, Word has won its supporters worldwide. While hail its excellent performance, we cannot eliminate Word’s possibility to collapse. So it’s time to get a Word doc repair product beforehand.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including Excel repair and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com