In today’s article, we are going to introduce you 3 ways to modify default save location for Word files and pictures.
By default, every time you try to save a newly created document, it will go to “My Documents” folder. Similarly, if you want to save a picture from Word document, it will end up in “My Pictures”. It can happen from time to time when there is no enough space left in the hard drive. Then you may need to relocate these files, pictures, and other data you have stored.
However, instead of moving folders manually, you may want to know some tricks which take less effort. Here are 3 tips for you to change default save location once for all.
Modify Default Save Location for Word Files
- Click “File”.
- Click “Options”.
- Next, click “Save” in “Word Options”. On the right side, you can see the default file location.
- Now click “Browse”, you will see a “Modify Location” window.
- Choose a location you like.
- Then click “OK” button.
- Back to “Word Options” window again, you will be able to find that the file location has been changed. What you have to do is to click “OK” to save the modification.
Modify Default Save Location for Pictures Saved from Word Document
There are 2 tips for you to accomplish this task. Read on to find details.
Tip 1: Modify Default Save Location by Changing Pictures Properties
- First, right click the picture you need to save.
- Choose “Save as Picture” option.
- The “File Save” window will pop up. Now click “Properties” on the list of the “Organize”.
- Then in “Pictures Properties” window, click “Include a folder” button.
- Click “Include folder” button after you have chosen the right file where you want to store your pictures.
- Now back in “Pictures Properties” window, you can see the newly added location has been listed in “Library locations” area. Click it.
- Click “Set save location” button.
- Click “OK”.
- Back to “File Save” window, and click “Save”.
Tip 2: Modify Default Save Location with the Help of Registry Editor
- Click “Start”.
- Type “regedit” in the search box.
- Press “Enter”.
- A “User Account Control consent UI” pop-up, just click “Yes”.
- On the left side of the “Registry”, please find the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
- Then double click “My Pictures”.
- Now you see an “Edit String” window, type the location you want to save your pictures in the text box below “Value data”.
- Click “OK”.
- Again on the “Registry”, please find the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
- Repeat step 6 to 8.
In a word, above two methods will change the default save location for pictures in the whole system.
How to Handle Corrupted Files
Knowing these 3 ways certainly can save you from tedious work. But, you need to look out. When you change the location, you cannot guarantee all your moves will be perfectly right. Your whole document can get crashed because of one single mistake. Thus you absolutely need tools to repair word. The built-in function in Word itself can be a great help. Besides, you can also turn to some third-party products which are of excellent performance.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com