In this article, we will focus on demonstrating you 3 effective ways to find hidden text boxes in your Word document.
Sometimes, we prefer to remove outlines of text boxes in document as to make it look more organized. However, if you need to revise document later, you may have difficult in locating where the text box is. Thus, it would be a practical need to find hidden text boxes in your document.
Method 1: Use “Find” Command
- First of all, press “Ctrl+ Home” to go to the beginning of the document.
- Then under “Home” tab, click on “Find” command to open the “Navigation” pane.
- Next click on the drop-down menu and choose “Graphics” there.
- Note this will bring you to each graph in your document. And now the first graph is in selection. Click the “Previous Search Result” or the “Next Search Result” to go back to the previous or next result.
- Finally when you have a text box in selection, you can choose to click it to trigger the “Format” tab. Then set a style of outline for the box.
Method 2: Show Gridlines in a Document
- To begin with, click “View” tab in the Ribbon.
- Then check “Gridlines” option.
Next you can see all text boxes in white squares, such as below:
Method 3: Run VBA Codes to Set Outlines for Text Boxes
- First and foremost, open VBA editor pressing “Alt+ F11”.
- Next click on the “Normal” at the left column.
- Then click “Insert” tab on menu bar.
- And choose “Module” on the drop-down menu.
- Next open new module with double click and paste following codes there:
Sub FindInvisibleTextBoxesInDoc() Dim objShape As Shape Dim objInlineShape As InlineShape For Each objShape In ActiveDocument.Shapes If objShape.Type = msoTextBox Then objShape.Line.Visible = msoTrue End If Next objShape For Each objInlineShape In ActiveDocument.InlineShapes If objInlineShape.Type = msoTextBox Then objInlineShape.Line.Visible = msoTrue End If Next objInlineShape End Sub
- Last but not the least, click “Run” or hit “F5” to execute codes. Now you have added outlines for all text boxes.
Comparison of 3 Methods
|Method 1: Use “Find” Command||It brings you to each graph in the document one by one, and you won’t miss a single text box.||It finds all graphs in document, so it may take quite a time to go to the text box you need format.|
|Method 2: Show Gridlines in a Document||Easy way and easy to recognize text boxes||1. You text boxes must have a style of shape fill. If not, this method will fail to recognize hidden text boxes.
2. Ensure the text boxes are inserted before texts are entered. Or this method will fail to recognize hidden text boxes.
|Method 3: Run VBA Codes to Set Outlines for Text Boxes||A quick way to add and show outlines for all text boxes in a document.||You will have to go to a specific text box through navigating the document manually.|
Solutions to Damaged Documents
It happens now and then to get a collapsed Word or a broken document, which you are unable to access. Then you will feel it urgent to recover docx. In such scenario, what you need is a sufficient repairing tool. It’s also the very reason that we suggest you getting one in advance.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including recover xls and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com