This article will introduce 2 approaches to copy all the members from one contact group to another one. You can choose either as per your needs.
Many users hope that Outlook can provide a quick means to copy the members from one contact group to another. It can help them to escape from the trouble of adding members one by one manually. Now, in the followings, we’ll share 2 ways. The first one is a workaround, using Outlook native feature. And the latter one is much smarter due to its usage of VBA code.
Method 1: Copy & Paste Members Manually
- In the first place, start your Outlook program.
- Then, you can access the Contacts area, in which you need to locate and pitch on a specific contact group.
- Next, you can click on the “E-mail” button in the “Communicate” group under “Home” tab.
- After that, a new email will display, in which you need to click the “+” icon in front of the group in “To” field to expand the group.
- Later, copy all members’ email addresses after expanding in “To” field.
- Subsequently, return to the Contacts folder and locate and open the contact group, which you want to copy the members to.
- In the target Contact Group window, click “Add Members” > “From Address Book”.
- Then, in the popup dialog box, press “Ctrl + V” to paste the copied members in the “Members->” field.
- Lastly, click “OK” and “Save & Close” button to save the changes.
Method 2: Copy Members from One Contact Group to Another via VBA
- First off, in the main Outlook window, press “Alt + F11” key buttons.
- In the subsequent “Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications” window, copy the following VBA code into an unused module.
Sub CopyMembersFromOneContactGroupToAnother() Dim objSourceGroup As DistListItem Dim strTargetGroupName As String Dim objCurrentContactsFolder, objDefaultContactsFolder As Folder Dim objTargetGroup As DistListItem Dim objGroupMember As recipient Select Case Application.ActiveWindow.Class Case olInspector Set objSourceGroup = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem Case olExplorer Set objSourceGroup = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1) End Select If objSourceGroup.MemberCount > 0 Then strTargetGroupName = InputBox("Enter the target contact group name:", "Specify Target Contact Group") Set objCurrentContactsFolder = objSourceGroup.parent Set objTargetGroup = objCurrentContactsFolder.Items.Find("[Subject]= " & Chr(34) & strTargetGroupName & Chr(34)) If Not objTargetGroup Is Nothing Then For i = objSourceGroup.MemberCount To 1 Step -1 Set objGroupMember = objSourceGroup.GetMember(i) objTargetGroup.AddMember objGroupMember Next i objTargetGroup.Save MsgBox "Copy Successfully!", vbInformation Else Set objDefaultContactsFolder = Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts) Set objTargetGroup = objDefaultContactsFolder.Items.Find("[Subject]= " & Chr(34) & strTargetGroupName & Chr(34)) If Not objTargetGroup Is Nothing Then For i = objSourceGroup.MemberCount To 1 Step -1 Set objGroupMember = objSourceGroup.GetMember(i) objTargetGroup.AddMember objGroupMember Next i objTargetGroup.Save MsgBox "Copy Successfully!", vbInformation Else MsgBox "There is not a contact group named as" & Chr(34) & strTargetGroupName & Chr(34) & "!", vbExclamation End If End If End If End Sub
- Then, you can add this macro to Quick Access Toolbar as usual.
- Finally, you can have a try.
- To begin with, select or open a source contact group.
- Then click the macro button in Quick Access Toolbar.
- Later, you’ll be requested to input the name of the target contact group.
- After that, press “OK”. At once, Outlook will find the target contact group and copy the members of source group to it.
Rescue Damaged Outlook Files
Outlook is susceptible to various malicious factors, including power outage, virus infection and so on. In order to guard against unwanted corruptions, we have no choice but to make a regular Outlook backup. Besides, it is advisable to install a potent PST repair tool, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair. It can scan and repair PST file in a high recovery rate.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com