This article is a guide designed to help you navigate your path towards becoming a certified Microsoft Outlook expert. But why is such a certification important? Let’s delve into that.
1.1 Importance of Outlook Certification
Over the past few decades, Microsoft Outlook has become one of the dominant personal information management tools for millions of business professionals worldwide. Knowing how to maximize the functionalities of this software can significantly boost your productivity, providing you with high-level organizational skills that are necessary in today’s fast-paced, data-driven working environment.
Attaining a Microsoft Outlook certification validates your ability to utilize this tool to its full potential. It serves as an accreditation of your proficiency, opening up lucrative and rewarding job opportunities. Such a certification adds credibility to your skills when you apply for roles such as administrative assistant, office manager, project coordinator, and other professions where Outlook knowledge is highly valued.
1.2 Repair Outlook PST Files
You also need a tool to repair Outlook PST files in case they are corrupt. DataNumen Outlook Repair is chosen by most of the users:
1.3 Objectives of this Comparison
While achieving an Outlook certification is beneficial, the numerous course options available might make it challenging to select the most appropriate one for your needs. That’s where this guide comes in. Our main objectives are:
- To provide a detailed overview of ten distinguished Outlook certification courses available across various platforms. These include Reed Courses, LinkedIn Learning, Alison, EDUCBA, Udemy, Mandatory Training Group, NYIM Training, Certiport, Microsoft, and the Online Training Course Academy.
- To gauge the pros and cons of each course, guiding you in making an informed decision that reflects your individual requirements, schedule, and budget.
In the subsequent sections, we will be discussing each course individually, noting down their unique features, advantages, and possibly some drawbacks they might have. By the end of this guide, you should have a clear image of what each certification offers and how they stack up against one another.
2. Reed Courses Microsoft Outlook Advanced Diploma
The Microsoft Outlook Advanced Diploma offered by Reed Courses is an online program designed to impart advanced skills and concepts of Microsoft Outlook. This course allows learners to acquire high-level knowledge of Outlook, helping to greatly boost their productivity and efficiency in professional environments.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: This course covers an extensive range of advanced topics that ensure learners become experts in Microsoft Outlook. From managing and organizing emails to handling contacts, calendars, and tasks, the scope of knowledge provided is vast.
- Flexibility: Being an online course, it provides the luxury of learning at your own pace and convenience.
- Certification: Upon course completion, learners receive a CPD certified diploma, providing global recognition for the skills acquired.
- Cost: Compared to other course providers, the Microsoft Outlook Advanced Diploma from Reed Courses is significantly more expensive.
- Customer Support: Some learners have reported slow response times from the customer support team, causing inconvenience to those needing urgent assistance.
- Prior knowledge required: As this is an advanced diploma, beginners without basic knowledge of Outlook might face difficulties following the course material.
3. LinkedIn Learning – Outlook Essential Training (Office 365/Microsoft 365)
LinkedIn Learning provides an essential training course for Outlook as part of the Office 365 and Microsoft 365 suite. This course has a particular focus on helping you increase your productivity using Outlook, and covers all the key aspects from beginner to advanced level with expert-led instructions.
- Wide Spectrum of Users: The course covers Outlook functionalities for both beginners and advanced-level learners. It ensures that users of all skill levels get value from it.
- Interactive Lessons: Interactive exercises and quizzes are included in this course, which aid in reinforcing learned concepts and improving comprehension.
- Access to Other Courses: Subscribers of LinkedIn Learning, in general, have access to a multitude of other courses available on the platform which makes it a good investment for continuous learners.
- Subscription Model: In contrast to platforms that offer one-time purchase courses, LinkedIn Learning operates a subscription model. This may not be the most cost-effective option for people interested in a single course.
- Training Concentration: The course tends to concentrate more on the usage of Outlook in the O365/M365 suite rather than standalone Outlook functionalities which might not be sufficient for someone looking exclusively for comprehensive Outlook training.
- Individual certification fee: Completing the course does not directly yield a certification. Learners will need to pay an additional fee to acquire a certificate.
4. Alison – A Beginner’s Guide to Microsoft Outlook
A Beginner’s Guide to Microsoft Outlook by Alison is an online course particularly designed for those who are novice users of this software and would like to gain a foundational understanding. The course focuses on all the primary functions and features of Outlook to provide a strong base to enhance further learning or immediate application in a professional setting.
- Beginner-Friendly: As the title suggests, this course is built specifically for beginners. It thus simplifies complex Outlook functions into easily understandable sections.
- Free Access: The course content, including video lessons and quizzes, can be accessed for free, making it a clear winner for cost-conscious learners.
- Quality Content: Despite being free, the content provided is top-quality, offering a comprehensive overview of Microsoft Outlook’s core functions.
- Certification Fee: Even though the course content can be accessed for free, learners need to pay a fee to receive an official certificate.
- Ads: The free version of the course is ad-supported. Ads might be disruptive for some users during their learning experience.
- Not for Advanced Users: If you are already familiar with the basics of Outlook, this course might not provide you with the advanced learning you need.
5. EDUCBA Online Microsoft Outlook Training Course
EDUCBA offers an online Microsoft Outlook Training Course centered specifically around Outlook 2013. This comprehensive course nourishes both beginner and seasoned Outlook users with in-depth lessons that range from basic operations to advanced settings and capabilities. Participants will learn through practical examples and live projects that simulate real-life use cases.
- Practical Learning: The integration of live projects within the course helps learners grasp the course material by solving practical problems.
- In-depth Approach: The course covers Microsoft Outlook thoroughly, offering both basic and advanced knowledge that appeals to learners of different skill levels.
- Lifetime Access: Once you sign up for this course, you get lifetime access to all the course materials, making it perfect for those who prefer self-paced learning.
- Outdated Version: The course was designed for Outlook 2013, and although much of the content is still relevant, newer updates and features introduced in subsequent versions will not be covered.
- No Official Certificate: Successfully completing this course does not provide you with a recognized certification, which might be an essential factor for some learners.
- Support: The platform’s customer support is reportedly slow at times, which might lead to delays in resolving any issues or inquiries.
6. Learn Microsoft Outlook | Complete Microsoft Outlook Guide via Udemy
This Udemy course is a comprehensive guide designed to help learners understand Microsoft Outlook in its entirety. It commences from the basics of email composition and management and advances to complex tasks such as note-taking, journal logging, and more. This A-Z guide promises to transform a novice into a proficient user of Microsoft Outlook.
- All-Inclusive: The course covers all the features of Microsoft Outlook, making it a suitable choice for anyone who wishes to have a thorough understanding of the platform.
- Access on Mobile and TV: This course can be accessed both on a computer and mobile devices, including TV, offering a wide versatile range of learning modes.
- One-time Payment: Unlike subscription-based platforms, Udemy requires a one-time payment for the course allowing lifetime access to the learning materials.
- Varied Course Quality: While Udemy does host top-quality courses, the platform’s open policy for instructors can lead to variability in the quality of the courses.
- Less Interactive: Compared to some of the other courses, this Udemy course might seem less interactive as it misses out on quizzes and assignments to reinforce learning.
- No Official Certification: The completion certificate provided by Udemy is not officially recognized and may not hold much weight in a professional setting.
7. Mandatory Training Group Outlook Essentials
Mandatory Training Group’s Outlook Essentials is an online-focused training platform that emphasizes developing learners’ expertise in Microsoft Office Outlook 2016. This course brings an easy-to-follow structure designed to effectively equip learners with the essential knowledge required to appropriately utilize the many features that Outlook offers.
- CPD Certified: The course is fully certified by the CPD Certification Service, providing professional compliance with global CPD standards.
- Online & On-demand: As an online course, it is on-demand, which means learners can start any time and learn according to their own schedule.
- Ease of Access: The User interface is easy to navigate and course content is straightforward to understand, making learning smooth and seamless.
- Single Version Specific: The course focuses solely on Outlook 2016, making it less beneficial for users of Outlook’s other versions.
- Limited Advanced Material: The course largely focuses on essential, foundational knowledge, leaving out the more advanced content that some learners might be after.
- Price: Some users might find the course to be a bit pricey, considering the content leans heavily on the basic side.
8. NYIM Training Microsoft Master Certification Program with Outlook
The NYIM Training Microsoft Master Certification Program comprises of extensive training in Microsoft Outlook with a particular emphasis on prepping students for the Microsoft Certification Exam. Aimed at both beginner and intermediate users, this course provides an in-depth understanding of Outlook’s tools and features.
- Certification Exam Prep: The course gives a comprehensive preparation for the Microsoft Certification Exam which adds much value to participating students.
- Hands-on Learning: The course incorporates a series of practical exercises and real-world examples which significantly improve the learning experience.
- Expert Instructors: The modules are delivered by expert instructors with extensive industry experience, reinforcing the quality and depth of learning.
- In-person Classes: This course requires in-person attendance for learning. This might not be convenient for everyone, especially amid current global circumstances.
- Pricing: The cost of the program is substantially higher compared to other programs, which could be a significant factor for people on a budget.
- Location Specific: The program’s availability is limited to specific locations, meaning it’s not accessible to everyone who might be interested.
9. Certiport Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook Certification
The Certiport Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook certification program provides a pathway for those looking to expertly employ Microsoft Outlook’s many applications and features. Upon successful completion, learners are classified as Microsoft Office Specialists in Outlook, granting significant credibility to their skills and capabilities.
- High Recognition: The Certiport certification is internationally recognized and highly regarded, adding significant weight to your professional profile.
- In-depth Coverage: The course is designed to adequately cover both foundational and advanced topics in Outlook.
- Exam-Centric: The course is structured to assist learners in passing the certification exam, increasing the chances of success.
- Cost: The cost for the certification program, as well as additional examination fees, might be prohibitive for some potential learners.
- Exam Stress: The pressure for examination success can cause stress among learners and affect the overall learning experience.
- Lack of Flexibility: The lack of an online, self-paced learning option might not suit those learners who prefer to study at their own pace or those with constrained schedules.
10. Microsoft Office Specialist: Outlook Associate
The Microsoft Office Specialist: Outlook Associate is a certification program offered directly by Microsoft itself. This course is fundamentally designed for those who wish to showcase their proficiency in Microsoft Outlook. The material details essentials tools, functionalities, and the most effective utilization of Outlook
- Highly Recognized Certification: Being provided by Microsoft itself, this certification carries a great deal of recognition and credibility worldwide.
- Up-to-date Content: Since it’s directly from the software’s manufacturer, the course content stays updated with the latest features and updates of Outlook.
- Relevant and Concise: The course content is highly relevant and delivered concisely, delivering a time-efficient way to master Outlook.
- Examination Centre Requirement: The certification exam needs to be taken at an official testing centre, which might not be convenient for some learners.
- Cost: The cost for the certification exam can be high, which might make it less accessible for certain individuals.
- Limited Learning Support: The course does not provide supplementary learning support such as interactive quizzes or forums for discussion.
11. Online Training Course Academy Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook Exam & Certification
The Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook Exam & Certification from the Online Training Course Academy is a comprehensive course that equips learners to utilize Microsoft Outlook to its full potential and prepare them for the Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam. With its structured content and informative lessons, this course provides an effective pathway to achieve Microsoft certification.
- Exam Preparation: The course content is specifically designed to guide learners in passing the certification exam, increasing their chances of success.
- Comprehensive Coverage: The course provides a deep dive into all the Outlook functionalities, ensuring learners develop a holistic understanding.
- Online Convenience: The course is fully online, providing learners with the flexibility to learn at their convenience and pace.
- No Practical Exercises: The course lacks practical exercises, which are generally crucial for understanding application-based software like Outlook.
- No Course Interactions: There are no interactive options like forums or chats to interact with tutors or other learners, a feature that could enrich the learning experience.
- Additional Exam Fees: The course fees do not include the cost of the certification exam, which must be paid separately.
This guide thoroughly reviews various Outlook Certifications available. To help visualize the comparisons, we’ve put together a summary in the form of a comparison table along with some tailored recommendations for different needs.
12.1 Overall Comparison Table
|Reed Courses Microsoft Outlook Advanced Diploma
|Basic knowledge of Microsoft Outlook required
|LinkedIn Learning – Outlook Essential Training (Office 365/Microsoft 365)
|Subscription Fee required
|Alison – A Beginner’s Guide to Microsoft Outlook
|Open for beginners
|Free access, Certification Fee
|EDUCBA Online Microsoft Outlook Training Course
|Open for all skill levels
|Course Fee required
|Learn Microsoft Outlook | Complete Microsoft Outlook Guide via Udemy
|Open for all skill levels
|Adjusted according to regional pricing
|Mandatory Training Group Outlook Essentials
|Basic knowledge of Outlook required
|Course Fee required
|NYIM Training Microsoft Master Certification Program with Outlook
|Certiport Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook certification
|Exam at officially assigned testing centres
|Exam Fee required
|Microsoft Office Specialist: Outlook Associate
|Exam at official testing centre
|Exam Fee required
|Online Training Course Academy Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook Exam & Certification
|Open for all skill levels
|Course Fee and additional Exam Fee
12.2 Recommended Certification Based on Various Needs
For beginners, who want to gain the basics of Microsoft Outlook, ‘A Beginner’s Guide to Microsoft Outlook’ by Alison is highly recommended. ‘Microsoft Office Specialist: Outlook Associate’ from Microsoft also presents a thorough understanding for beginners.
For those seeking a more advanced understanding of Microsoft Outlook, ‘Reed Courses Microsoft Outlook Advanced Diploma’ or ‘EDUCBA Online Microsoft Outlook Training Course’ offers comprehensive training.
‘LinkedIn Learning – Outlook Essential Training’ and ‘Udemy Microsoft Outlook Course’ are perfect for those looking for more flexibility in terms of access and skill levels.
Lastly, for those focused on obtaining a globally recognized certification, the ‘Certiport Microsoft Office Specialist Outlook certification’ and the ‘Microsoft Office Specialist: Outlook Associate’ directly from Microsoft are top contenders.
13.1 Final Thoughts and Takeaways for Choosing an Outlook Certification
In conclusion, obtaining a Microsoft Outlook certification can undoubtedly boost your professional credentials and give you a leg-up in your career. However, the type of certification to pursue should largely depend on your individual needs, knowledge level, and professional goals. Spend an ample amount of time to assess the course structure, curriculum, price range, and credibility of the certification before making a decision.
Remember, the right certification program should equip you with relevant skills and practical knowledge, but at the same time, it should resonate well with your own learning pace and schedule. To get the most out of your certification journey, always ensure to actively participate in the learning process and make the best utilization of all resources provided to you within the course.
We hope that this guide has provided insightful comparisons that will aid you in finding the right certification program to master Microsoft Outlook. Best of luck on your learning journey!
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, which provides a wide range of products, including tool to repair damaged OST files.