In today’s digital world, handling and management of data has increasingly become essential in any business or research context. One tool that has made such tasks easier and more efficient is Microsoft Excel. Excel extends far beyond merely creating simple lists by offering helpful features such as spreadsheet collaboration, graphical representation of data, advanced computations, and the outstanding ability to merge Excel files, the latter of which will be of focus in this discussion.
1.1 Importance of Excel File Merge tool
Merging Excel files is often found crucial when dealing with large volumes of data. Merging files not only makes the data more organized, but it also saves time and energy that would be wasted in manually copying and pasting data from multiple files. An effective and reliable Excel file merge tool guarantees productivity enhancement and optimization by streamlining the whole process. These tools significantly reduce the chance of human error and ensure accuracy in data consolidation.
1.2 Repair Corrupt Excel Files
You also need a powerful tool to repair corrupt Excel files, such as DataNumen Excel Repair:
1.3 Objectives of this Comparison
The aim of this comparison is to provide you with a comprehensive and unbiased examination of numerous extensively used Excel file merge tools. This will guide the reader in selecting the merge tool most suited to their needs by highlighting each tool’s strengths and shortcomings. In doing so, this review will bring to light critical points of consideration in selecting a merge tool such as bulk merging capabilities, ease of use, accuracy, and cost among other important factors.
Gigasheet is a web-based application that allows users to merge and analyze large Excel files beyond the conventional row limit. This platform equips its users with data manipulation power that considerably exceeds Excel’s typical capabilities.
Utilizing cutting-edge Big Data technology, Gigasheet enables users to handle, analyze, and unite up to 10 billion rows of data. It provides a cloud solution to combine Excel files, supporting both .xls and .xlsx formats. Apart from merging, it also presents a slew of features for advanced data analysis including filtering, sorting, and aggregating data in a user-friendly interface.
- High capacity: Gigasheet has the ability to handle a massive volume of rows which exceeds standard Excel’s capacity.
- User-friendly: Despite its advanced capabilities, Gigasheet employs a simple user interface, making it easy for users of all levels.
- Advanced data analysis: In addition to merging, Gigasheet also provides comprehensive data analysis tools.
- Cloud-based: Being a web application, Gigasheet allows users to access and manipulate their data from anywhere without downloading any software.
- Internet dependence: Since Gigasheet is strictly a web-based application, an internet connection is mandatory to make use of it.
- Limited customization: The options for tailoring the merging process to particular needs may be limited compared to other dedicated merge tools.
- Data security: Dealing with sensitive data over the web may pose potential security risks for some users.
3. Aspose.Cells Excel Merger
Aspose.Cells Excel Merger is a powerful tool designed for combining or merging Excel files. It is a part of the larger Aspose.Cells product family which provides comprehensive solutions for spreadsheet manipulation and conversion.
Aspose.Cells Excel Merger enables users to merge Excel files while retaining the style, formatting, and data of the original documents. The tool supports various Excel file formats including XLS, XLSX, XLSM, XLSB, and ODS. Apart from merging, Aspose.Cells also offers other Excel solutions like conversion, creation, editing, and rendering.
- Preserves formatting: It retains the formatting and data of the original files during the merge process, ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Supports multiple formats: This tool is compatible with a wide range of Excel formats, increasing its versatility.
- Multi-functional: Besides merging, Aspose.Cells offers a broad spectrum of services related to Excel file manipulation.
- Requires software installation: It requires the installation of the Aspose.Cells software which can be inconvenient for users who prefer online tools.
- Complex user interface: With numerous available functions, new users might find the interface a bit complex to understand initially.
- Cost: Aspose.Cells is not entirely free. While there are some free features, advanced features require a subscription.
4. Excel Merger
Excel Merger, developed by PDFExcelConverter, is a standalone desktop tool that stands out with its practicality of merging Excel files and even other file types such as Word and PDF.
Excel Merger, unlike many other tools, does not limit itself to only Excel files. Instead, it supports both merging and batch merging of an array of file types such as Excel (XLS, XLSX, XLSM, XLSB, CSV), Word (DOC, DOCX), PDF, PowerPoint, images, and text files. This tool also allows users to combine specific sheets from different Excel files into one file or workbook.
- Variety of supported files: Apart from Excel documents, the Excel Merger supports merging of Word, PDF, PowerPoint, and image files.
- Specific sheet merging: It allows users to select and merge specific sheets from different Excel files, providing flexibility in data organization.
- Batch merging: Excel Merger facilitates simultaneous merging of multiple files, thereby saving time and effort.
- Software install required: Like most standalone desktop tools, Excel Merger requires installation, which can be deemed inconvenient to some users.
- Interface: Some users find the user interface to be a bit dated and lacking in modern aesthetic appeal.
- Limited online support: Compared to web-based tools, this application might lack an extensive online help and support base.
5. Synkronizer 11
Synkronizer 11 is a comprehensive Excel add-in tool that provides users with robust capabilities for comparing and merging Excel files.
Beyond its simple and straightforward merge function, Synkronizer 11 stands out with its advanced Excel file comparison feature. It permits users to quickly identify differences between sheets or entire workbooks, making it invaluable for data validation or error checking. Alongside, it also provides update and merge functionalities to consolidate Excel data effectively.
- Excel integration: Synkronizer is integrated into Excel as an add-in, making it extremely accessible and handy.
- Detailed comparison: This tool offers a detailed comparison of Excel sheets or workbooks, aiding in data validation and error checking.
- Update and merge: Synkronizer facilitates efficient data consolidation through its update and merge functions.
- Versatility: Synkronizer 11 is dedicated solely to Excel, which limits its versatility compared to tools that support multiple file types.
- Cost: While it does offer a free trial, continuing use requires purchase, which may not be ideal for users on a budget.
- Installation: Being an add-in, it needs to be installed and setup within Excel, which might be complicated for some users.
6. Bulk File Merger
Bulk File Merger is a software designed specially for merging massive Excel files effortlessly. As its name suggests, it boasts proficiency in bulk merge operations.
Bulk File Merger provides Excel and .CSV file merging capabilities, promising a quick and easy process even when dealing with thousands of files. This software solution is ideal for tasks requiring consolidation of large data sets, fitting the needs of data-centric fields like accounting, marketing, or analytics.
- Efficiency in bulk merges: Bulk File Merger lives up to its name by effectively merging massive amounts of Excel files.
- CSV support: In addition to Excel, this software also merges .CSV files, which bolsters its versatility.
- Fast processing: The tool is designed for speed, ensuring the handling of large data sets in a time-efficient manner.
- Software download: This is a desktop-based software. So, it necessitates installation and does not provide a cloud-based service.
- Limited file type support: Bulk File Merger only supports Excel and .CSV files, which might be a drawback for users working with other file formats.
- Cost: Although a demo version is available to try, unrestricted use of the tool requires purchase.
DocSoSo is an online tool that provides a platform to combine Excel sheets into a single file, channeling simplicity and ease of use.
DocSoSo offers an easy-to-navigate interface for merging multiple Excel sheets or files together. Functioning directly from the web browser, this tool provides a quick solution for small to medium scale Excel file mergers without the necessity of software installation. Besides merging Excel files, DocSoSo also supports conversion between various document formats.
- Web-based: DocSoSo works directly from the browser, eliminating the need for software installation or setup.
- Usability: Its simple interface makes it highly user-friendly, even for first-time users.
- Other document services: Offering more than just merging, DocSoSo also supports document conversions between various formats.
- Internet-dependent: Being a web-based tool, it requires an active internet connection to function.
- Scale constraint: While perfect for small to medium scale tasks, it might struggle with large scale merging tasks.
- Data Privacy: Similar to other online tools, users must trust the provider with their data during the merge process, which could pose potential risks for sensitive data.
QuickTrans is an inspring Microsoft Excel add-in specifically designed for merging sheets from different Excel files. It falls under the umbrella of the QuickTable platform which offers a variety of Excel and SQL related services.
Regarded for its simplicity and ease of use, QuickTrans offers a friendly interface to quickly merge multiple sheets from different Excel files into one. It saves users the trouble of tedious copy-pasting, making the merging process much more efficient and error-free. It can cater to scenarios where consistent data from different time periods, departments, or projects is to be merged.
- Excel integration: As an Excel add-in, QuickTrans is conveniently accessible directly from the Excel interface.
- Simplicity: The tool’s simple and intuitive interface makes it easy to use, even for non-tech savvy users.
- Efficiency: QuickTrans makes the merging of multiple sheets a hassle-free task, saving considerable time.
- Requires Installation: Being an add-in, QuickTrans needs to be manually installed and set up within Excel.
- Limited to Excel: QuickTrans is exclusively for Excel, limiting its versatility compared to some other tools.
- Lack of advanced features: While the simplicity of the tool could be a boon for beginners, power users might find the lack of advanced options restrictive.
xlCompare is a comprehensive Excel utility tool designed for comparing, analyzing, and merging Excel files. It provides a rich set of features to handle complex Excel operations.
Unlike simple merge tools, xlCompare offers a wide array of Excel file manipulation functionalities. This includes a precise comparison of Excel worksheets, identifying differences, and then smartly merging them. With its robust algorithms, xlCompare facilitates efficient and accurate data consolidation.
- Detail oriented: xlCompare identifies all types of differences in Excel data structures, even extending to formulas and cell comments.
- Smart Merging: The softwareoffers a smart merge feature, merging differences found between Excel sheets with one click.
- Comprehensive tool: As a multi-functional tool, xlCompare handles a wide array of Excel tasks, not just limited to merging.
- Cost: xlCompare is not free and might be expensive for casual or one-time users.
- Complex interface: Due to its extensive feature set, beginners might find xlCompare’s interface complex and difficult to navigate at first.
- Requires Installation: To use xlCompare, users have to download and install the software on their device.
PdfCandle is an online tool designed with a focus on simplicity and speed to carry out straightforward merging of Excel files.
As a part of a suite of document manipulation tools available on PdfCandle.com — which includes PDF, DOC, and XLS manipulations among others — the Excel merge tool provides users with an easy and quick solution for combining multiple Excel worksheets into a single file, all done via a user-friendly web interface.
- Web-based: PdfCandle operates directly in a web browser, which means no software installation is required. This increases its accessibility and convenience.
- User-friendly: It offers simplicity in its interface, making it quite easy to navigate even for novice users.
- Quick processing: Thanks to its simplified operations and dedicated function, PdfCandle offers fast execution of merge tasks.
- Internet Required: Being an entirely web-based tool, PdfCandle requires a stable internet connection to work.
- Limited functionality: While its simplicity is a strength, it may limit advanced users in terms of customization and control over their merge operations.
- Data Privacy: Uploading files to a web server always comes with some degree of data security risk, especially when handling sensitive information.
11. Convert XLS
Convert XLS is a software designed to handle extensive Excel file operations, including but not limited to merging Excel files.
Convert XLS is a powerful, multi-functional desktop software specifically developed to facilitate a range of Excel file manipulations. It offers features including Excel file conversion, manipulation, and merging. Its efficient algorithms ensure speedy merging of large Excel files while keeping file integrity and formatting intact.
- Multi-functional: Convert XLS offers an extensive array of Excel file operations besides just merging files, making it a comprehensive solution for many Excel-related tasks.
- Efficient processing: This software boasts speed and efficiency when processing large Excel files.
- Preserves formatting: It maintains the original file’s integrity and formatting during the merge operation to ensure accuracy.
- Software Installation: As a standalone desktop software, Convert XLS needs to be installed on your device which might not be convenient for occasional users.
- Cost: While many of its features are free, some functionality including the merging feature require purchase of the full version.
- Learning curve: Given its wide range of features, new users might face a slightly steep learning curve initially.
12.1 Overall Comparison Table
|Ease of Use
|High volume merging, data analysis tools
|Free and Paid versions available
|Aspose.Cells Excel Merger
|Preserves formatting, multi-functional
|Free features, Paid for advanced features
|Documentation and community forum
|Batch merging, supports multiple formats
|Excel integration, detail comparison
|Free trial, Paid for full features
|Email and phone support
|Bulk File Merger
|Bulk merging, fast processing
|Free demo, Paid for full use
|Web-based, easy to use
|Excel integration, efficiency
|Detail oriented, smart merging
|Email and phone support
|Web-based, quick processing
|Multi-functional, efficient processing
|Free features, Paid for full use
|Email and phone support
12.2 Recommended Tool Based on Various Needs
After comparing the above tools in terms of features, ease of use, price, and customer support, it is evident that each tool meets different user needs. For instance, Gigasheet might be best for users who need to handle a large volume of data, while Excel Merger could be ideal for those who need to merge a variety of file types. Synkronizer 11 is perfect for users who want a tool integrated into their Excel interface, while QuickTrans is an excellent tool for users looking for simplicity and speed. PdfCandle additionally stands out for users who prefer a web-based tool for quick processing. Therefore, the best tool depends heavily on your specific needs and circumstances.
13.1 Final Thoughts and Takeaways for Choosing an Excel File Merge Tool
Selecting an Excel file merge tool should align with your specific needs, budget, and technical expertise. While the tools covered in this review offer diverse features, some are more suited for specific tasks and users than others.
For instance, if you handle large volumes of Excel data, powerful online tools such as Gigasheet would be ideal. For those needing to merge a variety of file types including Word, PDF, and images apart from Excel, the Excel Merger would be the perfect choice. On the other hand, Synkronizer 11, embedded in Excel as an add-in, could be a convenient tool for frequent users.
For users seeking no-frills, straightforward merging solutions, both QuickTrans and PdfCandle stand out with their simplicity. However, for multi-functionality and broader Excel manipulation capabilities, tools like Aspose.Cells Excel Merger, xlCompare and Convert XLS come into light.
In conclusion, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Therefore, understanding your needs and the core features, pros and cons, ease of use, price, and customer support of each tool can guide you to make an informed decision.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, which provides a wide range of products, including a tool to recover damaged PowerPoint files.