When selecting multiple contact groups in “To” field of an Outlook email, duplicate recipients may occur because some contacts exist in several groups simultaneously. This article will teach you how to remove the duplicate recipients.
When I send an Outlook email to several contact groups, some recipients ask me why I send several same emails to them. Since then, I noticed that their email addresses exist in the groups simultaneously. Thus I accidentally send duplicate emails to them. In order to avoid this embarrassing situation, I’m keen to find out a method to remove duplicate recipients before sending. Here are the detailed steps.
Remove Duplicate Recipients from Your Outlook Emails
- For a start, you can create a new email. In “To” field, add the contacts, contact groups as usual.
- Then you should click the “+” icon in front of the group to expand the groups, showing all the contacts in this group.
Note: You will get an alert which confirms “expand the list” action. You can click “Yes” directly.
- After expanding all the contact groups, all the internal contacts will show in the “To” field. But duplicate contacts won’t be removed automatically. Thus go on to remove them.
- Next you need to select and copy all the contacts or email addresses in “To” field. Press “Ctrl + A” to select all and “Ctrl + C” to copy them.
- After that, you would be required to minimize the new message window.
- And then shift to “Contacts” pane. Create a new contact group by clicking on “New Contact Group” button under “Home” tab.
- In the Contact Group window, you should click on “Add Members”, and from the drop down list, choose “From Address Book”.
- A new dialog box of “Select Members: Contacts” will arise. You should locate ‘Members >” field at the bottom. Click into the blank box and press “Ctrl + V” to paste the copied contacts and email addresses.
Note: After clicking “OK”, all the duplicate contacts or email addresses will be removed automatically. Only the unique ones will exist.
- You will return to “Contact Group” window, in which assign a name to this group, such as “Temp Group”. And next click “Save & Close” button.
- You can go back to the previous message window. In “To” field, select the ‘Temp Group”.
Note: If you want to verify whether the duplicate contacts have been removed, you can expand the group as the step 2.
- Finally you can compose the email normally and send it out. Remember to delete the group later.
Secure Outlook Effectively
Due to Outlook’s vulnerability, we should pay more attention to its security. Thus never download unknown attachments or click sealed embedded links, etc. As long as your Outlook is attacked by viruses or malware, you should take recourse to a potent enough third party tool, like DataNumen Outlook Repair. It is specially designed to repair Outlook. Thereby, it must be able to extract maximum data from broken PST file no matter how extreme the damage.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com