The sequence numbers can always be seen in an Excel worksheet. In this article, we will show you how to auto update the sequence numbers when you insert or delete rows in a range.
You will certainly have used the sequence numbers in a worksheet. With those numbers, the range will be clearer and you can manage your data and information better. When you insert a new row or delete a row in the range, the sequence numbers will be discontinuous.
And you need to update the numbers. It will be annoying as you need to modify them every time you change the range. In order to help you improve your work pace, you can follow the steps below.
Use Function to Update Sequence Numbers
- Click the first cell of the list in the target range. In this example, we will click cell A2.
- And then input this formula into the cell:
If the cell is not in the second row, you need to modify it according to your actual worksheet.
- And then press the button “Enter” on the keyboard. Now, the first number 1 will appear in the cell A1.
- After that, click the cell again.
- And then double click the fill handle of the cell. Thus, you have filled the whole column with the formula.
- Now insert a new column in this range.
- Click the first two cell of this column.
- And then click the fill handle and drag downwards.
- Next release your mouse. Now the sequence numbers are continuous.
If you delete a row in the range, you can also use the fill handle to update the numbers.
Create a Table to Update the Sequence Numbers
The above methods are actually semi-automatically. If you need to update the numbers when you insert the rows, you can create a table for the range.
- After step 5 in the previous part, click a cell within the range.
- And then press the shortcut keys “Ctrl +T” on the keyboard.
- In this step, check the option for the header according to your need.
- And then click the button “OK” in the window.
When you insert a row in the range, the sequence numbers will automatically.
If you need to delete a row, remember to delete the table rows instead of clearing the items in the row.
Although using a table seems to be better, sometimes you don’t necessarily need a table in a worksheet. And an additional table in the worksheet may mess up your worksheet. Therefore, you can choose to use only formulas or use formulas with tables according to your actual needs.
Data Recovery is a Complex Issue
Everyone will meet with data disaster. At this moment, your Excel files will also be affected. You will certainly need to recover your files. Actually, data recovery is indeed a complex issue. If you know nothing about it, you’d better turn to specialist for help. Besides, you can also repair corrupt Excel file by using a powerful Excel repair tool.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair Word docx document corruption and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com