When you find your hard disk is shown as a dynamic disk and is in “invalid” status in Windows Disk Management window, you will also be unable to access disk data. In this case, you can use the 5 effective solutions to get rid of this problem.
In general, when you encounter any disk errors in Windows, you can access Disk Management to check related disk information. Invalid dynamic disk problem is one of the most common issues you can see in the Disk Management window.
Nowadays, most computers are configured for basic disk, which manage partition with partition table. Such disk is compatible with various systems and platforms. However, dynamic disk is narrowly used and has much lower compatibility. Thus, it tend to emerge all kinds of issues, including that dynamic disk becomes invalid. Focused on this problem, here we will expose 5 corresponding solutions to you.
1. Upgrade Your PC Windows Version
If your Windows operating system doesn’t support dynamic disk, it will become invalid certainly. For instance, dynamic disk cannot be used on all Windows home versions. Therefore, you need upgrade the current Windows operating system to a more advanced version, such as Professional Version. Then you may be able to use the dynamic disk.
2. Convert Disk to Basic in Disk Management after Data Recovery
As mentioned above, basic disk is supported on many systems. Hence, the most effective way is to convert the disk to basic. However, in this way, you will lose the disk data. Thus, you should firstly perform data recovery, like PST recovery. And then convert dynamic disk to basic. You can do this in Disk Management.
- At first, search “compmgmt.msc” in “Start Menu”.
- Then press ‘Enter” to access Disk Management.
- Next locate and right click on the invalid dynamic disk.
- After that, from the right clicking menu, select “Convert to Basic Disk”.
3. Reactivate the Invalid Disk via Commands
In addition, you could try to reactivate the invalid disk via Diskpart Commands. Take the following steps:
- Type “cmd” in the search bar of “Start Menu”.
- Then run the “cmd” as administrator.
- Next in the popup Command Prompt window, type “diskpart” and hit “Enter”.
- After that, type “list disk” and click “Enter” key button.
- Later, make clear the number of invalid disk.
- Subsequently, type “select disk <disk number>” and press “Enter”.
- Lastly type “online” and hit “Enter” again.
4. Import Dynamic Disk Information to another Computer
Plus, it is also likely that some information of the dynamic disk isn’t recorded in the Windows system registry. Thus, Windows cannot identify and access the disk normally. In this scenario, you can import dynamic disk information to another computer. But this work is a bit complex, so you had better recur to professionals.
5. Repair Invalid Dynamic Disk via Third Party Tools
Furthermore, you can resort to a third party tool. Nowadays, data is all around. Accordingly, data recovery industry is developing constantly. Thus, there must be a lot of disk repair and data recovery software in today’s market. You can simply select a reputable and experienced one to have a try.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql corruption and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com