In this article, we will focus on 2 useful ways to insert a new page after endnotes in your Word document.
Endnotes, as the name suggests, are often placed at the end of a document. There is nothing wrong with that until someday, we find it’s impossible to directly insert a blank page after endnotes to start new contents. This is definitely annoying. Therefore, our 2 methods in this post shall be timely aid for you who are struggling with the matter.
Method 1: Use Word Command
First if the whole document is one section, then follow the bellowing steps:
- Put insertion pointer at the end of the document but ahead of endnotes. Or you can press “Ctrl+ End”.
- Then click “Page Layout” tab.
- Next click “Breaks”.
- And choose “Next Page”. All endnotes will go to a new page.
- Now click “References” and then the extend button to open “Footnote and Endnote” dialog box.
- In the box, choose “Endnotes”.
- Then select “End of section’.
- Lastly, click “Apply”. All endnotes shall go back to the end of the section and leave the new page blank where is now independent of the endnote area.
Now another situation is that a document can contain more than 1 section, then there are more actions to follow.
- Firstly, finish all the above steps.
- You will notice endnotes going to the end of its own section instead of that of the last section.
So, click “Page Layout” and the extend button to open “Page Setup” dialog box.
- Then click “Layout” tab.
- Check the “Suppress endnotes” box and choose “Whole document” for “Apply to’.
- Next click “OK”. Now endnotes jump to the head of that new page.
- Place insertion pointer inside the last section.
- Repeat step 2 and 3.
- This time clear the “Suppress endnotes” box.
- And choose “This section” for “Apply to”.
- Next click “OK”. Now endnotes shall go back to the end of the last section.
Method 2: Run Word Macro
- Press “Alt+ F11” to trigger VBA editor.
- Then click “Normal” and then the “Insert”.
- And choose “Module” to create a new one.
- Double click the module to open editing area on the right side.
- Now if you have a document with only one section, then copy the following macro:
Sub InsertNewPageForOneSectionDoc() Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage With Selection.EndnoteOptions .Location = wdEndOfSection .NumberingRule = wdRestartContinuous .StartingNumber = 1 .NumberStyle = wdNoteNumberStyleLowercaseRoman End With End Sub
And if you have a document with multi-section, you need this macro:
Sub InsertNewPageForDocWithSections() Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage With Selection.EndnoteOptions .Location = wdEndOfSection .NumberingRule = wdRestartContinuous .StartingNumber = 1 .NumberStyle = wdNoteNumberStyleLowercaseRoman End With With ActiveDocument.PageSetup .SuppressEndnotes = True End With Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine, Count:=2 With Selection.PageSetup .SuppressEndnotes = False End With End Sub
- Finally, hit “Run”.
Tackle with Damaged Word Files
Sometimes, you never know what exactly goes wrong and suddenly your Word files are getting corrupt. This is the case happening all the time. However, left with the corrupted doc, the most important thing is to get a professional repairing tool to fix it. Otherwise, what’s done is done, and you could lose you file forever.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including tool to repair xls and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com
Thank you very much. First method worked well for me!
runtime error ‘4608’ for the second macro?
value out of range
Thanks a lot
Thank you, this worked well and is a neat trick!
The first approach simply does not work on a Mac. I’m not about to fool with VBA macros.
Example: Chapter 3 begins on left hand page instead of right hand. Ch 2 has footnotes
Place cursor to left of Ch 3 header
Insert blank page
Page Layout > Breaks and click on Continuous to remove page number
This worked a treat for me, thank you so much. Key for me creating a working template for my business.