In any professional setting, the sharing and reading of Word documents is a common practice. However, not everyone has the necessary software to open these documents, hence the importance of Word Viewers.
1.1 Importance of Word Viewer
A Word Viewer is a software application which allows users without Microsoft Word to open, view, and print Word documents. This is especially useful for those who do not possess the full version of Microsoft Word, but still need to access documents in this format for work, school, or personal use. Moreover, most Word Viewers also offer functionality for basic editing without changing the format or structure of the original document. Thus, they are invaluable tools allowing for effortless sharing and collaboration.
1.2 Repair Word Documents
If your viewer cannot open a Word document, then you need a tool to repair Word document, such as DataNumen Word Repair:
1.3 Objectives of this Comparison
The objective of this comparison is two-fold. Firstly, it aims to provide a detailed introduction to a selection of Word Viewers available on the market today. Secondly, it seeks to highlight the key pros and cons of each viewer, providing the readers with a comprehensive understanding of each software’s capabilities and limitations. Through this comparison, we aim to equip the readers with the necessary knowledge to select the Word Viewer most suited to their specific needs.
2. Microsoft Office Word Viewer
Microsoft Office Word Viewer is a retired freeware program for Microsoft Windows that can display and print Microsoft Word documents. Although it doesn’t support the newer document formats (.docx), it marks itself as a crucial tool for those wishing to open documents without needing to purchase the full Microsoft Word software.
Microsoft Office Word Viewer once served as a handy tool for those who needed to access Word documents without having the full Microsoft Word package installed. It supported the viewing and printing of a wide range of Word document formats prior to its discontinuation in November 2017.
- Compatibility: It was compatible with all older MS Word versions (.doc, .dot, .rtf).
- Convenience: It allowed viewing and printing Word documents regardless of whether the full Word software was installed.
- Cost-Effective: As a freeware, it was an economical solution for users who only needed to view and print Word documents.
- Lack of Support: It was discontinued in 2017 and no longer receives any updates or bug fixes from Microsoft.
- Non-Editable: It does not permit users to edit the documents they view.
- No Support for Newer Formats: It does not support the .docx format, which is the default Word format from 2007 onwards.
3. ASPOSE Free Document Viewer Online
ASPOSE Free Document Viewer Online is a multi-purpose tool that allows users to view Word documents in a browser without any software download.
ASPOSE Free Document Viewer Online is an online tool that permits users to view and manipulate a variety of file types, including Word document formats. Given it’s an online tool, it allows for quick access and use without the hassles of software installation. This is an ideal tool for those who often find themselves working on different machines and require easy and swift access to open Word documents.
- Compatibility: It supports a comprehensive range of document formats including .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, and more.
- Convenience: In being an online tool, it allows quick access to open and view documents without the need for any software installation or download.
- Accessibility: Provides easy and swift access to Word documents for those often working on various machines.
- Requirement of Internet Access: Being an online tool, it requires an active internet connection to function properly.
- No Print Feature: It lacks direct print options for documents.
- Dependent on Browser: Functionality might vary depending on the browser used.
4. Groupdocs View Word files online
Groupdocs is an online tool that allows users to view Word files fully online, eliminating the need for any software downloads or installation.
Groupdocs offers a versatile online Word Viewer that supports the opening and viewing of multiple Microsoft Word formats. Being an online tool, it provides quick and easy access to Word documents from any device with an internet connection. With its highly intuitive interface, it ensures a smooth and efficient document viewing experience.
- Versatile Compatibility: The platform supports an extensive range of Word document formats including .doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt, and more.
- Remote Access: Since it is browser-based, it allows remote access to Word documents from any device with an active internet connection.
- User-Friendly: The service offers an intuitive and user-friendly interface that makes document viewing a hassle-free process.
- Internet Connection Required: As an online platform, it requires an active internet connection to view documents.
- Dependant on Browser: Its performance and user experience might be subject to the browser used.
- No Print Options: It doesn’t offer direct print capabilities.
5. Jumpshare Free Online Word Viewer
Jumpshare stands out as an online Word Viewer platform that does not only allow users to view documents but also collaborate with teams.
Jumpshare is a holistic online platform that goes beyond simple document viewing. It supports a wide array of file formats including Word documents. It not only allows users to view files online but also enables seamless collaboration through its unique set of features such as screen recording and commenting. Though primarily used for managing digital assets and team collaboration, it serves quite effectively as an online Word Viewer.
- Supports Variety of Formats: Offers compatibility with numerous file formats, including all popular Word document formats.
- Collaboration Features: Provides unique features like screen recording and commenting, enhancing collaboration among teams.
- User-friendly Interface: Boasts a highly intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- Internet Requirement: As an online tool, it requires a stable internet connection for access.
- Functionality Overkill: Its additional features can be overwhelming for users simply seeking a basic Word Viewer.
- Limited Free Usage: The free plan comes with basic features and limits, while complete functionality requires a paid upgrade.
6. XODO Document Reader
XODO Document Reader is a multi-functional online viewer that can handle Microsoft Word documents along with other formats.
XODO Document Reader is a versatile online viewer that supports Word document formats among others. Apart from general document viewing features, XODO incorporates a host of other functionalities such as highlighting, underlining and adding comments to documents right from the viewer. It also allows collaboration, enabling users to share and discuss documents online in real-time.
- Compatibility: Supports various file formats including Word documents.
- Annotation Features: Enables users to annotate documents by highlighting and underlining text or adding comments.
- Collaboration: Its features support real-time collaboration allowing shared document annotation.
- Requires Internet: Being an online tool, it requires an internet connection which can prove to be a limitation in scenarios of poor network availability.
- Focused on PDF: While it supports Word documents, XODO is primarily designed for PDFs, and this focus may limit its capabilities with Word files.
- Limited editing: It does not support advanced Word editing features, making it slightly restrictive compared to full Word software.
7. TutorialsPoint Online Document Viewer
The TutorialsPoint Online Document Viewer is a free online tool designed to efficiently open and read Word documents.
Originating from the education-focused website TutorialsPoint, the Online Document Viewer is a free tool that enables users to view Word and several other document formats straight from their browsers. While it doesn’t offer any advanced features, its simplicity and efficiency make it a suitable choice for those looking for a straightforward viewer.
- Easy to Use: Its straightforward interface and smooth navigation commands provide an easy-to-use experience.
- Supports Multiple Formats: Enables users to open a wide range of document formats, including various Word formats.
- Free to Use: There are no costs involved in using this online viewer, making it a budget-friendly choice.
- Internet Access Needed: Requires a steady internet connection for online viewing of documents.
- Limited Features: While it excels in simplicity, it lacks advanced features offered by some competitors.
- No Editing Capabilities: Doesn’t support editing or annotating of Word documents.
8. Online Document Viewer
Online Document Viewer provides an easy solution to viewing Word documents online without the need to install any additional software.
Online Document Viewer is an online service that supports the viewing of a range of document formats, including .doc and .docx. It offers the advantage of online viewing directly in your browser without requiring the need to download the document or install any additional software. This basic yet effective tool can be extremely useful for quickly viewing Word documents when using a system where Microsoft Word or other readers are not installed.
- Supports Multiple Formats: Capable of opening a host of document formats, not just limited to Word files.
- No Downloads Required: All viewing takes place within the browser, eliminating the need for file downloads or software installations.
- User-friendly: Its simplicity and ease-of-use make it an optimal choice for users who require only a basic view function.
- Relies on Internet: Being an online tool, a steady internet connection is necessary for its operation.
- Minimalistic Features: While efficient, its functionality is pretty limited when compared to other viewers.
- No Editing or Annotation: The tool does not support any editing or annotation features typically present in full versions of Word processors.
9. ScanWritr Open Word document online
ScanWritr is an online document manager and editor that also functions effectively as a Word Viewer.
ScanWritr is primarily an all-in-one online document editor and manager. However, it includes efficient functionalities for opening and viewing Word documents online. Additionally, it offers other valuable features like conversion, scanning, editing and signing documents. Its versatile capabilities extend beyond just viewing, making it a useful tool for various document-related tasks.
- Wide Range of Functionalities: Offers a multitude of features, including document editing, signing, and conversion, along with viewing.
- Supports Multiple Formats: Capable of opening a diverse range of document formats, not just limited to Word files.
- No Installations Required: As an online tool, it does not require any software installations.
- Internet Dependence: Requires a stable internet connection for operation.
- Limited Free Usage: While it offers many functionalities, not all are available for free. Complete access requires payments.
- Complex for Basic Users: The vast array of features might be overwhelming for users simply looking for a Word viewer.
10. FileFormat View Word Processing Files Online
FileFormat provides an online platform to effectively open and view Word processing documents directly in a browser.
FileFormat is an online Viewer catering specifically to Word processing files. It is capable of opening and viewing .doc and .docx files directly within the browser, eliminating the need for downloading the document or installing any software. Its simplicity and focus on Word documents makes it an ideal choice for users who primarily deal with these file types.
- Targeted Functionality: Specifically designed for Word processing files, offering an optimized viewing experience for these file types.
- No Downloads or Installations: All viewing and reading occurs within the browser, eliminating the need for any downloads or software installations.
- Free to Use: Offers its services completely free of charge, making it an economic choice.
- Reliant on Internet Connectivity: As it’s an online tool, a stable internet connection is crucial for its smooth operation.
- Limited to Word Files: While it serves Word documents effectively, it cannot open other types of files.
- Minimal Features: It provides very basic viewing functionality, lacking any advanced reading or editing features some users may need.
11. Online Word Reader
Online Word Reader is a basic yet reliable platform for viewing Word documents online.
Online Word Reader is an online tool focused on providing simple and quick access to Word documents. It excels in providing a straightforward, browser-based tool to open and read Word files without any need for installing software or downloading the document. It is specifically designed to cater to users who need a quick and hassle-free way to view Word documents online.
- Simple Interface: Offers a straightforward interface, making it easy and intuitive to use.
- No Installation Required: Allows users to view Word documents directly in the browser, eliminating any need for software downloads or installations.
- Focus on Word Files: The tool focuses specifically on Word files, ensuring optimized viewing for these formats.
- Internet Dependent: Being an online tool, it needs an active internet connection to function properly.
- Basic Functionality: It offers only basic viewing capabilities and does not support any advanced features.
- Limited Compatibility: While it is optimized for Word files, it does not support other file formats.
12. allinpdf Document Viewer
allinpdf Document Viewer is an online service providing the ability to view and manage documents in the cloud.
allinpdf Document Viewer is an efficient tool that not only functions as an online Word viewer, but also allows for the viewing, conversion, merging, and editing of various document formats. It operates directly in the browser, enabling users to access Word documents and other files from anywhere, on any device.
- Multiple Functions: Offers an array of features including viewing, editing, merging, and conversion of documents.
- Wide Compatibility: Supports various document formats, not limited to Word files.
- No Installation Necessary: All functions are accessible directly in the web browser, eliminating any need for software installments or downloads.
- Internet Connection Needed: As an online tool, it requires an internet connection to perform all its operations.
- Too Complex for Basic Users: The multitude of features may overwhelm users who only need simple document viewing abilities.
- Usage Limitations: Not all features may be freely available, and some may require subscription or purchase.
After reviewing various online Word Viewers, we can draw a comparative assessment to help users make an informed choice based on their specific requirements, such as features, ease of use, pricing, and customer support.
13.1 Overall Comparison Table
|Ease of Use
|Microsoft Office Word Viewer
|Viewing and printing older Word formats
|ASPOSE Free Document Viewer Online
|Online viewing of multiple formats
|Groupdocs View Word files online
|Browser-based document viewing
|Free version available with premium upgrade
|Jumpshare Free Online Word Viewer
|Word viewing and team collaboration features
|Free version with premium plans
|XODO Document Reader
|Viewing and annotating documents
|TutorialsPoint Online Document Viewer
|Basic document viewing
|Online Document Viewer
|Online Word document viewing
|ScanWritr Open Word document online
|Document opening and manipulation
|Free to try with in-app purchases
|FileFormat View Word Processing Files Online
|Online Word document viewing
|Online Word Reader
|Basic online Word document viewing
|allinpdf Document Viewer
|Multiple document handling features
|Free features with premium upgrade
13.2 Recommended Viewer Based on Various Needs
A user’s choice of an online Word Viewer will highly depend on their specific needs. For instance, if the user values a viewer’s feature richness, they should consider platforms like allinpdf Document Viewer or Jumpshare Free Online Word Viewer. If high ease-of-use and simplicity are your main concerns, then Online Word Reader, TutorialsPoint Online Document Viewer, or Microsoft Office Word Viewer would serve you best. Lastly, if price is a vital factor in your selection, then free offerings from Microsoft Office Word Viewer or ASPOSE Free Document Viewer Online could be the best fit.
In conclusion, the process of choosing an online Word Viewer depends largely on the individual user’s specific needs.
14.1 Final Thoughts and Takeaways for Choosing an Word Viewer
When choosing a Word Viewer, ease of use, features, and cost are among the most crucial considerations. More importantly, it should support all the Word formats you deal with regularly. For example, if you’re involved in collaborative work, a viewer with collaborative features like Jumpshare or XODO would be ideal, while budget-conscious users would find free viewers like ASPOSE or Microsoft Word Viewer more suitable.
Ultimately, since there’s a variety of Word Viewers in the market, prospective users need to analyze what exactly they require from such a tool, and align that with the offerings of each platform to make the most informed choice.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, which provides a wide range of products, including a BKF file repair tool.