Conversion tools that transform PDF files to RTF format are not just convenient, they are essential in many professional settings. This is especially true for individuals and organizations who handle large volumes of text-based data in various formats.
1.1 Importance of Convert PDF to RTF tool
Portable Document Format (PDF) provides secure and high-quality digital documents. However, the format’s principal strength of maintaining the same formatting regardless of device or software can also be a handicap when it comes to editing the content. To edit PDF documents, individuals have to use specialized software which is not always readily available or affordable.
Rich Text Format (RTF), on the other hand, is a universal format that can be opened by virtually any word processing software. Converting PDFs to RTF allows users to make necessary changes without the need for specialized software. Accordingly, PDF to RTF conversion tools are essential in rendering PDFs editable and versatile.
1.2 Recover PDF Documents
You also need a profession tool to recover PDF document if it is corrupt. DataNumen PDF Repair is a good choice:
1.3 Objectives of this Comparison
The objective of this comparison is to aid individuals and organizations in identifying a PDF to RTF conversion tool that suits their specific needs best. With the abundance of tools available, finding the right one can feel overwhelming. This comparison guide will provide an overview of the prominent convert PDF to RTF tools, discuss their pros and cons, and ultimately assist in making an informed decision.
2. Online2PDF PDF to RTF
Online2PDF is an internet-based conversion tool that permits easy conversion of PDFs to multiple other formats, such as RTF. This tool satisfies a wide range of conversion needs without requiring software download or installation, making it an accessible solution for users with diverse computer configurations.
- Multiple Conversions: It allows users to convert multiple PDF documents at once, saving valuable time.
- Variety of Output Formats: In addition to RTF, Online2PDF supports a variety of other conversion formats.
- Flexible Options: Users can select specific pages to convert, optimize the output for web viewing, and even apply OCR (optical character recognition) for scanned documents.
- Free: The tool is entirely free for up to 140 conversions per hour, which is ideal for casual users or small operations.
- Limited Size: The total size of the files to be converted should not exceed 100MB. For larger files, users will require different tools.
- Limited Conversions: Although free, the number of conversions is limited to 140 per hour which could be a limiting factor for businesses and users performing batch conversions.
- Online Only: It requires an internet connection to function, causing a potential limitation in environments with unstable or no internet access.
- Ads: The website contains ads, which might be distracting to some users and possibly affecting the user experience.
3. Zamzar PDF to RTF
Zamzar is another online conversion tool that has been providing document conversion services since 2006. It supports the conversion of a wide array of file formats, including PDF to RTF.
- Wide Array of File Formats: Zamzar supports over 1200 different conversions, making it a highly versatile tool.
- User-Friendly Interface: The conversion process is straightforward with a clean, simple, and intuitive interface.
- No Software Installation: Like Online2PDF, Zamzar is online-based, which means there’s no need for software downloads or installations.
- Email Notification: Users receive an email notification when the file conversion is completed, which can be helpful especially when converting large files.
- Time Limitation: The conversion process can take relatively long, depending on the size of the file and server congestion.
- Paid features: Some advanced features, such as high-speed conversions and online storage for converted files, are only available in the paid version.
- Internet dependency: Due to its online nature, an internet connection is required to perform any conversion.
PDFEagle is a software application designed to convert PDFs to various other formats including RTF. Unlike the previously mentioned tools, this tool requires a software download and installation.
- Multi-platform Support: PDFEagle is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux operating systems, making it a versatile tool for different users.
- Off-line Conversion: Unlike online tools, PDFEagle doesn’t require an active internet connection, allowing users to convert files anywhere, anytime.
- Extensive File Support: This software supports over 10 output formats, offering a wide range of options in addition to RTF.
- Batch Conversion: PDFEagle allows batch conversions which can save time when dealing with numerous documents.
- Software Installation: Since it’s a software application, downloading and installation is required which might not be suitable for users with limited storage or administrative permissions.
- Available only on Desktop: The software’s support is limited to desktop platforms only, which means it will not work on mobile devices.
- Cost: The full functionality of PDFEagle is not free. The software could be a bit costly for casual users or startups on a budget.
5. Win2PDF Pro
Win2PDF Pro is a paid software application that offers a suite of PDF functions including conversion of PDFs to RTF. With its additional features geared towards professional use, it is recommended for businesses needing more complex PDF handling.
- Comprehensive PDF Tool: In addition to converting PDF to RTF, Win2PDF Pro supports functionalities like merging, watermarks, encryption, and more.
- Batch Conversion: The tool allows for batch conversions, thereby saving time when numerous conversion tasks are at hand.
- Quality Control: Users can control the quality of output files which can prove beneficial when managing file sizes.
- Customer Support: Paid users receive excellent customer support for any inquiries or issues.
- Cost: Unsurprisingly, considering its capabilities, this software does not come free of charge, which could deter budget-conscious users.
- Windows Only: The software is only available for Windows, which may exclude users on other platforms like Mac OS or Linux.
- Software Download: Just like PDFEagle, Win2PDF Pro requires a software download and installation which can be challenging for those with restricted computer rights.
6. UniPDF PDF to RTF Converter
UniPDF is a desktop application that allows users to convert PDF files to RTF. In addition, it supports a variety of other file formats including text files, images, and HTML.
- Diversified Conversion Types: In addition to RTF, UniPDF supports a variety of output formats, providing wide-ranging utility.
- Simple Interface: UniPDF is known for its straightforward and intuitive user interface, making it easy even for novices.
- Quality Conversion: UniPDF is praised for maintaining the original format and layout when converting which is a significant advantage.
- No Internet Required: Since it’s a desktop application, no internet connection is needed for the conversion process.
- Installation Needed: Unlike online tools, UniPDF requires software download and installation which could be a hindrance for some users.
- Windows Only: The software is available exclusively for Windows, making it unsuitable for Mac OS and Linux users.
- Limited Free Version: While a free version is available, it has limited features, and the full-fledged version comes with a cost.
MConverter is a free online conversion tool that supports a range of conversions, including PDF to RTF. It is easy to use and requires no software installation, hence it is appropriate for casual users who occasionally need file conversion.
- Easy-to-use: MConverter comes with a simple, clear and user-friendly interface that even beginners can handle without issues.
- Multiple File Formats: It supports a wide range of file conversions, not only limited to RTF, adding to its versatility.
- No Installation Required: Since it’s cloud-based, there’s no need to download or install any software, which can be handy for users with limited storage.
- Secure: Uploaded files are automatically deleted after 3 hours, giving users peace of mind regarding the safety and privacy of their documents.
- Internet Requirement: Being an online tool, it requires a working internet connection to function. Therefore, it’s not ideal for users with limited or no internet access.
- Limited Features: While simplicity can be its strength, MConverter lacks some advanced features that other, more advanced tools offer.
- File Size Limitation: The maximum size of an uploaded file is limited, which might be a constraint for users working with larger files.
8. PDF24 Tools PDF to RTF Converter
PDF24 Tools PDF to RTF Converter is a free online tool offered by PDF24, a brand of geek software GmbH. This tool allows users to convert PDF files into RTF format along with several other formats.
- User-Friendly Interface: PDF24 Tools provides an easy-to-navigate interface, making the conversion process simple even for first-time users.
- Multitude of Tools: PDF24 offers a whole suite of PDF tools including merger, splitter, compressor, and converter to name a few.
- No Installation: As an online tool, there is no need for software installation, making it easily accessible on any device with an internet connection.
- Privacy: The files uploaded for conversion are automatically deleted after a certain period maintaining user data privacy.
- Requires Internet Connection: The nature of online tools like PDF24 demands an internet connection for any conversion to take place.
- Occasional Slowness: Depending on server congestion and internet speed, conversion may sometimes be slow.
- Ad Supported: The tool is supported by ads, which may be distracting to some users or potentially impact the usage experience.
9. HiPDF PDF to RTF
HiPDF is an online tool designed for various PDF-related tasks, including conversion of PDFs to RTF and several other formats. As a cloud-based solution, it’s accessible from any device with an internet connection, providing flexibility to users.
- Multiple Capabilities: Besides converting PDF to RTF, HiPDF also permits document editing, compression, merging, splitting, and more.
- Easy Accessibility: As an online tool, HiPDF requires no installations or downloads. Users can access it from any device with a web browser.
- User-Friendly Interface: HiPDF offers a clean and straightforward interface that’s easy to navigate, even for beginners.
- Quality Conversion: HiPDF ensures a high standard conversion that keeps most elements and formatting intact.
- Internet Dependent: Without a stable internet connection, using HiPDF can be challenging due to its online nature.
- Limited Free Use: While HiPDF offers some functionalities for free, the complete feature set is only available in the paid version.
- Slow Conversions: Large files or server congestion can frequently result in slower conversion times.
10. CloudConvert PDF to RTF Converter
CloudConvert is an online-based conversion service known for its diverse support for over 200 different file types. Its robust functionality includes converting PDFs into RTF format.
- Wide Range of File Types: CloudConvert offers support for over 200 file formats, making it an incredibly diverse conversion tool.
- Cloud Storage Integration: The tool allows direct upload from and saving to various cloud storage services including Dropbox and Google Drive, enhancing the convenience of use.
- Quality Conversions: CloudConvert is known for maintaining good output quality with minimal loss of original formatting.
- Advanced Settings: Users can customise conversion options like character encoding for specific file formats.
- Restricted free version: The free version of CloudConvert is somewhat limited in capacity, with unlimited access only available through a paid subscription.
- Requires Internet: The need for a stable internet connection is fundamental as without it, the service is unattainable.
- File Size Limit: Free users have a limit to the total file size they can convert, which might be problematic when converting larger files.
11. PDF Candy PDF to RTF
PDF Candy is a comprehensive online toolkit that offers a range of PDF services including conversion to RTF format. Developed by Icecream Apps Ltd, a software development company, PDF Candy helps both ordinary users and professionals handle tasks related to PDF files.
- Comprehensive PDF Toolkit: In addition to conversion services, PDF Candy offers a slew of tools catering to different needs like PDF editing, merging, splitting, and more.
- No Installation Required: Being MConverter is cloud-based, it doesn’t require any software installation and can be accessed directly from your browser.
- Multiple File Support: Users can add PDF files from their device, Google Drive, or Dropbox for conversion, adding to convenience.
- Secure: PDF Candy ensures the privacy of user data by deleting the files from their servers after a set period.
- Internet Requirement: As it’s an online tool, it requires a reliable internet connection to function, making it unsuitable for users with limited internet access.
- Space Limitation: The tool might be unable to handle multiple or large-sized files concurrently due to server constraints.
- Ads: The website runs on ad revenue and these can be distracting to some users, potentially impacting the user experience.
12. Okdo Pdf to Rtf Txt Converter
Okdo Pdf to Rtf Txt Converter is a dedicated software tool for converting PDF files to RTF and TXT formats. Developed by Okdo Software, a specialist in office tools, this tool is aimed at those seeking a reliable solution for PDF conversions.
- High-Speed Conversions: Okdo Converter is known for its high-speed conversion, ensuring efficient processing for large volumes of files.
- Batch Processing: Users can convert multiple files at a time thus saving time when dealing with numerous documents.
- Preserves Layout: While converting, Okdo Software maintains original text, images, graphics, and layout of the PDF file.
- Multi-Language Support: The software can handle documents in various languages, making it suitable for international use.
- Software Installation: Being a desktop-based program, it requires users to download and install the software which might not be convenient for many users.
- Limited Free Version: There is a free version available with limited features while the full-feature version is paid.
- Dedicated Purpose: While its dedicated function ensures quality, this also means it lacks multiple functionalities which other tools offer.
13.1 Overall Comparison Table
|Ease of Use
|Online2PDF PDF to RTF
|Multiple conversions, different output formats, flexible options
|Free up to 100MB/140 conversions per hour
|Online FAQs and contact form
|Zamzar PDF to RTF
|Over 1200 conversion formats, email notification
|Free, paid version for advanced features
|Supports 10+ output formats, batch conversions
|PDF merging, encryption, watermarks, batch conversions
|Email and Phone support
|UniPDF PDF to RTF Converter
|Supports multiple output formats, preserves original format
|Free, Paid for full features
|Supports multiple file formats, easy to use
|Online contact form
|PDF24 Tools PDF to RTF Converter
|Multiple PDF tools including merging, splitting, compressor
|HiPDF PDF to RTF
|Multiple tools, batch processing, cloud storage integration
|Free, Paid for full features
|CloudConvert PDF to RTF Converter
|Supports 200+ file formats, cloud storage integration
|Free with limitations, paid for unlimited access
|PDF Candy PDF to RTF
|Slew of tools including editing, merging, splitting
|Okdo Pdf to Rtf Txt Converter
|Fast conversions, high-quality output, batch processing
|Free, Paid for full features
13.2 Recommended Tool Based on Various Needs
Different tools have their unique strengths and depending on unique user requirements, one might be more suitable than the others. As such, recommendations can be made as follows:
For occasional, basic PDF to RTF conversion needs: Online tools such as Online2PDF and Zamzar are decent options due to their ease of use and free cost tier. However, these are limited by the need for internet access and may have restrictions on file size and conversion count.
For extensive or heavy-duty conversion needs: Desktop software like PDFEagle, Win2PDF Pro, and UniPDF would be more suitable. They typically offer advanced features such as batch processing and output customization, though these benefits often come at a cost. They can operate without an internet connection, a significant advantage for users in areas with poor internet infrastructure.
14.1 Final Thoughts and Takeaways for Choosing a Convert PDF to RTF Tool
Selecting the right PDF to RTF conversion tool will greatly depend on individual user requirements, preferences, and environment. As we have seen, online tools such as Online2PDF and Zamzar are excellent for casual users who require infrequent conversions. They are easy to use, often free, and don’t require any software installation. However, they are limited by internet availability and sometimes by document size limitations or a cap on the number of conversions in a defined period.
For more frequent or professional users who handle large volumes of conversions, desktop applications such as PDFEagle, Win2PDF Pro, and UniPDF would be more suitable. These offer batch processing, speed, and output customization, enabling them to handle complex workflows more smoothly. However, they often come at a cost and require space for software installation.
In general, a good conversion tool should not only transform a PDF into the desired format, but should also faithfully preserve the original formatting of the content. Different tools have different strengths, and the best choice would therefore depend on the specific needs of the user.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, which provides a wide range of products, including a powerful tool to recover MS SQL database.