1.1 Importance of Excel Certification
Microsoft Excel is one of the most widely used software applications across all industries and sectors. An Excel Certification provides you with a professional edge in today’s competitive world by proving your skill level and adding a highly valuable certification to your resume. It demonstrates your proficiency in handling and analysis of data, which is crucial for decision-making processes in businesses. It can also contribute to furthering your career, increasing your earning potential and making you a more valuable asset in your respective role or industry.
1.2 MS Excel Repair Tool
As a frequent Excel user, you will always need an MS Excel repair tool to repair corrupt Excel files. DataNumen Excel Repair is recommended by most of the experts:
1.3 Objectives of this Comparison
The world of Excel Certifications can seem overwhelming with so many options available. The aim of this comparison guide is to help you navigate through these options, provide an overview of each certification, and present their strengths and weaknesses. In particular, this comparison will discuss and evaluate the curriculum, cost, time commitment, certification process, and the type of learner each certification is best suited for. By the end of this guide, you should have a clear understanding of which Excel certification would best suit your needs and career goals.
2. Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (Office 2019)
The Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (Office 2019) certification validates your fundamental knowledge of Excel. This credential positions you as a candidate who understands the Excel environment and can demonstrate the correct use of key features. To obtain this certification, you will need to pass the Excel Associate Exam, which focuses on creating, modifying, and formatting Excel worksheets and workbooks.
- Internationally recognized: The certification is recognized globally, enhancing your employment opportunities and professional credibility.
- Practical skillset: The focus on the core features of MS Excel ensures you gain hands-on, practical skills that you can apply immediately in your job.
- Flexible learning: Resources and training materials are widely available, allowing you to prepare for the exam at your convenience and pace.
- Cost: The exam costs may be higher than other certifications.
- Time commitment: Depending on your existing skill level, the time and effort needed for preparation can be significant.
- Limited focus: This certification focuses on the 2019 version of Excel, and may not include the latest features available in newer versions.
3. Microsoft Office Specialist: Microsoft Excel Expert (Office 2019)
The Microsoft Office Specialist: Microsoft Excel Expert (Office 2019) certification is a step above the Excel Associate certification. This certification is designed for those who need to use Excel at an advanced level. It includes complex tasks such as managing and sharing workbooks, applying custom formats and layouts, creating advanced formulas, and much more. The certification requires passing a rigorous exam that tests your expert-level skills and knowledge of Excel.
- Advanced skills: The certification verifies your ability to perform complex tasks in Excel, which can help you stand out in the job market and potentially lead to higher salary offers.
- Global recognition: The Microsoft Office certifications are widely recognized, which can help broaden your job prospects.
- Detailed instruction: The study material is comprehensive, covering a wide array of intricate Excel operations and functionality.
- Costly certification: The examination fee can be relatively high, depending on the country.
- Intensive learning required: The substantial amount of content covered can make the learning process lengthy and rigorous.
- Specific version: The certificate is version specific, focusing on Excel 2019, which may not include newest features or updates in later versions of Excel.
4. W3Schools Excel Certificate
The W3Schools Excel Certificate is designed to prove your knowledge of Excel. W3Schools, renowned for its web tutorials, has a comprehensive courseware covering Excel at a foundational level. The certificate requires passing a 70-question exam within an hour. While open-book, this test is designed to verify your knowledge of Excel use in everyday tasks.
- Flexible learning: You have the option to learn at your pace as there is no strict course schedule.
- Cost-effective: The exam fee is relatively low, making this certification budget-friendly.
- Comprehensive study material: W3Schools provides extensive resources for learning, including tutorials and examples for self-study.
- Lack of hands-on training: The certification focuses more on theoretical knowledge than hands-on training, which may not be as applicable for real-life work scenarios.
- Recognition: While W3Schools is well-known in the field of web development, the recognition of their Excel certification may be less compared to some other providers.
- No advanced topics: The certification does not cover advanced topics; it focuses primarily on basic Excel operations.
5. Coursera Microsoft Excel Certificate
The Coursera Microsoft Excel Certificate is a comprehensive program designed for learners of all levels. Created by top educational institutions, the Coursera Excel courses include video lectures, hands-on projects, peer-reviewed assignments, and community discussion forums. At the end of the course, you earn a shareable certificate that can be uploaded directly to LinkedIn or added to your resume.
- Top-tier instructors: The courses are conducted by renowned professors from prestigious universities or industry leaders.
- Flexible learning: The training is self-paced, allowing learners to progress at their own speed.
- Robust curriculum: The program offers in-depth coverage of both fundamental and advanced Excel topics.
- Subscription-based: These courses are generally subscription-based which means you need to pay a monthly fee that can add up if you take a longer time to complete the course.
- Certificate value: While Coursera is a well-known platform, the recognition and acceptance of its certificate vary by employer and industry.
- Collaborative learning: Interaction with instructors and peers is minimal, which could make it a less effective learning experience for some individuals who prefer a more interactive environment.
6. Great Learning Excel for Beginners Certificate
The Great Learning Excel for Beginners Certificate is an ideal course for those starting their journey in Excel. The certification course covers all basic concepts ranging from data entry, formatting, and basic mathematical functions to conditional formatting and charts. Learners receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course, demonstrating their understanding of Excel basics.
- Beginner-friendly: The course is designed specifically for beginners, making it a great starting point for those new to Excel.
- Free Course: The course content and certification is completely free, making it easily accessible to all.
- User-friendly platform: The Great Learning interface is easy to navigate, with a simple course structure and teaching style.
- No Advanced topics: The course primarily focuses on basics with no in-depth coverage of advanced Excel features.
- Limited Recognition: While valuable as a learning resource, the recognition of Great Learning’s certificate could be less in the job market compared to certifications from Microsoft or other established institutions.
- No dedicated support: The course lacks direct instructor support or interactive sessions, which might pose challenges for some learners.
7. Go Skills Microsoft Excel Certification
The Go Skills Microsoft Excel Certification course is a holistic and comprehensive program that is suitable for learners of all levels. It includes beginner, intermediate, and advanced Excel courses, covering everything you need to become an Excel power user. The certification is based on course completion and an exam.
- All-level coverage: The course caters to learners at all levels, from beginner to advanced, making it suitable for anyone looking to enhance their Excel skills.
- Comprehensive learning: The course provides a deep dive into the application, covering a wide range of Excel features and functions.
- Unlimited Access: Paid subscribers get lifetime access to courses, allowing you to learn at your own pace and timeline.
- Subscription-based: Go Skills operates on a subscription model, which could be more expensive if you take longer to complete the courses.
- Relatively new provider: As a relatively new course provider, recognition of the Go Skills certificate may be less compared to more established institutions.
- Limited hands-on experience: The course includes more theoretical learning with less emphasis on practical, hands-on skills.
8. Udemy Microsoft Excel Certification Training (beginner to expert)
The Udemy Microsoft Excel Certification Training is a full journey from a beginner to an expert level. Conducted by renowned instructors in the field, this certification covers all necessary Excel concepts, from fundamentals to advanced data analysis with Excel. Upon course completion, you receive a certificate of completion from Udemy.
- In-depth Training: The course offers comprehensive and detailed instruction on all aspects of Excel.
- Life-long Access: Once purchased, you have lifetime access to the course material, which includes video lectures, articles, and downloadable resources.
- Peer Interaction: Udemy allows students to interact and discuss course material through Q&A sections, fostering a collaborative learning environment.
- Variable Quality: As multiple instructors host different courses on Udemy, the quality and depth of courses can vary greatly.
- Recognition: While Udemy is a known platform, the certificates from Udemy are not widely recognized by employers as an official certification.
- No One-on-One Interaction: The platform does not offer one-on-one interaction with instructors, which might be challenging for learners who require personal guidance.
9. edX Excel for Everyone Professional Certificate
The edX Excel for Everyone Professional Certificate is a comprehensive program for those looking to master Excel. It includes a series of courses that cover basic to advanced Excel techniques. These include creating spreadsheets, analyzing data, data visualization, and understanding complex functions and formulas. After successful completion of the course, learners receive a professional certificate from edX.
- Wide range of topics: The program offers a broad learning experience, covering all key aspects of Excel.
- Reputable educational platform: edX earned its reputation for offering high-quality courses from top universities and institutions worldwide.
- Self-paced learning: The course is designed for learners to progress at their own pace, with lifetime access to course content.
- Course fee: While the course offers high value, individuals seeking less expensive options may find the fee prohibitive.
- Complex topics: Some learners may find the advanced topics challenging without proper support or assistance.
- Recognition: While respected within the education arena, the recognition of edX certificates varies by employer and industry.
10. William Paterson University Microsoft Excel Certification
The Microsoft Excel Certification offered by William Paterson University has been designed for both beginners and advanced learners. The program is a rigorous and intense certification perfecting the candidate’s proficiency in creating and managing worksheets and workbooks, creating cells and ranges, creating tables, applying formulas and functions and creating charts and objects.
- Academic Credibility: This Excel Certification is offered by a reputable educational institution, making the certificate highly credible and recognized.
- In-Person Training: The program is delivered in person, allowing direct interaction with tutors and peer learning.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: Course material covers a broad spectrum of Excel from basics to advanced functions.
- Location-based: As an on-campus program, it’s less accessible for those outside the institutional area or out of the city or country.
- Potentially High Cost: Given its institutional nature, the program’s cost might be higher than online options.
- Fixed Schedule: Unlike self-paced online courses, this program follows a fixed schedule which may not suit everyone.
11. Noble Desktop Excel Certifications and Certificates
Noble Desktop offers comprehensive Excel certifications designed to equip learners with proficient Excel skills. The programs are typically organized as boot camps and offer a detailed understanding of Excel functionalities. The course covers a wide array of topics, from data manipulation, advanced formulas, and dashboards to input controls and handling complex datasets. A certificate of completion is provided at the end of the program.
- Hands-on Experience: The program is designed to provide substantial hands-on experience, which is crucial for mastering Excel.
- Wide Range of Topics: The course goes beyond the basics, covering advanced topics and detailing many of the advanced features of Excel.
- Full & Part-Time Courses: Noble Desktop provides both full-time and part-time courses, catering to different student needs and schedules.
- Time Commitment: As a boot camp, this program requires a significant commitment of time, which may not be suitable for everyone.
- Higher Costs: The cost of Noble Desktop’s boot camps might be higher than other non-boot camp options.
- Location-Based: Most Noble Desktop classes are conducted in traditional classroom environments, making it less accessible for those residing out of the locality.
12.1 Overall Comparison Table
|Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate (Office 2019)
|Pass the Excel Associate Exam
|$$ (varies by location)
|Microsoft Office Specialist: Microsoft Excel Expert (Office 2019)
|Pass the Excel Expert Exam
|$$$ (varies by location)
|W3Schools Excel Certificate
|Pass the W3Schools Excel Exam
|Coursera Microsoft Excel Certificate
|Completion of course with passing grades
|$$ (subscription based)
|Great Learning Excel for Beginners Certificate
|Completion of course materials
|Go Skills Microsoft Excel Certification
|Completion of course materials and exam
|$ (subscription based)
|Udemy Microsoft Excel Certification Training (beginner to expert)
|Completion of course materials
|$-$$ (varies by course)
|edX Excel for Everyone Professional Certificate
|Completion of course materials and passing grades on exams
|William Paterson University Microsoft Excel Certification
|Attendance and completion of course
|Noble Desktop Excel Certifications and Certificates
|Attendance and completion of course
12.2 Recommended Certification Based on Various Needs
The choice of Excel certification highly depends on your individual needs, goals, and current skill level. For complete beginners looking to understand the basics, the Great Learning Excel for Beginners Certificate or the W3Schools Excel Certificate could be a good starting point. For those looking to take a step further and acquire an intermediate level understanding, the Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Associate certification or Udemy Microsoft Excel Certification training would be suitable.
If your goal is to attain an expert-level understanding of Excel, the Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel Expert or the Go Skills Microsoft Excel Certification would be recommended. Professionals looking to learn in a conventional classroom environment may consider enrolling in either the William Paterson University or the Noble Desktop Excel certifications. For those who aim for a flexible learning schedule with a comprehensive curriculum and don’t mind a subscription-based model, the edX or Coursera courses would be the most beneficial.
13.1 Final Thoughts and Takeaways for Choosing an Excel Certification
Choosing the right Excel certification can significantly boost your career prospects and enable you to stand out in a competitive job market. However, certifications should be chosen carefully, considering your current skill level, learning needs, budget, and long-term career goals. No single certification is the best fit for everyone; the most suitable one will vary from person to person.
It’s important to remember that while certifications demonstrate your proficiency in a skill, they don’t replace actual experience. Hands-on experience with Excel, applying the learned skills and tools in real-life situations, can often be more valuable than any certification. Therefore, regardless of the certification you choose, be sure to invest time in practicing and applying these skills in real-world contexts.
In summary, with the multitude of high-quality Excel certifications available today, there’s a perfect match to help you achieve your goals. Happy learning!
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, which provides a wide range of products, including product to repair Access MDB database.