When you utilize ScanPST to repair your broken Outlook file, it may fail and in the meantime throw out an error “An unexpected error prevented access to this file”. This article will delve into this error as well as the relevant solutions.
Here is my practical experience. One day I attempted to copy my Outlook file to an external drive. But it fails and I receive a CRC error meanwhile. Next I renamed this PST file and launched ScanPST to scan and repair the file. Later I received this error – “An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use ScanDisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox Repair tool again”
Reason for This ScanPST Error
This error thrown out by ScanPST is usually owing to a disk error like severe fragmentation in hard drives, CRC errors and other related problems. From the perspective of disk error, ScanPST can only deal with the error involved with the PST file instead of the disk. On the other hand, if the PST file severely corrupted, its repair will be definitely beyond the capability of ScanPST. Obviously, ScanPST cannot guarantee that it can solve any problems.
Solutions to This ScanPST Error
As the error suggests above, you need to scan your disk in the first place. With the respect to checking the disk, we can use the following method 1 or 2.
1. Launch Check Disk in Drive Properties
- Firstly, in “Start Menu”, click “Computer”.
- Then in the new window, you should locate the hard drive where your Outlook is installed. Right click the drive and select “Properties”.
- Next a new dialog box will pop up. In it, you should switch to “Tools”. Find and click “Check now” button.
- After that, a new dialog will show up. You should enable the two check disk options.
- Eventually you can press “Start” button to initiate the checking process.
2. Run ScanDisk Utility in Command Prompt
- To start with, go to “Start Menu” and search “cmd”.
- Then right click the “cmd” program and choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Next in the popup Command Prompt, input “chkdsk: <drivename >/f” and then press “Enter” key button.
- Finally you can straight away follow its onscreen instructions to carry out the scanning process.
3. Apply ScanPST Once Again
After checking the disk, proceed to repair the PST file by means of ScanPST again. If fortunately, ScanPST may accomplish this job successfully. But if unfortunately, you may encounter the same error. At this time, you can assume that your PST file may be severely damaged. In this case, ScanPST cannot do anything to settle down this issue.
4. Resort to Third Party Tools
Now that ScanPST is helpless, your last resort is to employ a versatile third party tool like DataNumen Outlook Repair. It has earned a lot of kudos due to its high recovery rate. Hence, it must be able to get back the maximum Outlook data for you.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com