As we all know, Outlook is prone to corruption. So it comes packed with a free tool – scanpst.exe. However, at times, the built-in tool may function improperly, too. This article will mainly throw light on the issue that Scanpst.exe freezes.
Recently, I updated my Outlook as it suggested. But later when I restart Outlook, I received an error message, saying that errors have been detected in my PST file. So I intend to repair Outlook file with the help of Inbox repair tool. After scanning the file by scanpst.exe and clicking on the “Repair” button, the tool freezes and cannot respond.
Reason for Scanpst.exe Issues
Before taking actions to fix freezing ScanPST, it is essential to pinpoint the causes. To sum it up, there are 5 common reasons as followings.
- If scanpst.exe is installed improperly, such as missing DLL files, the built-in tool will misbehave definitely.
- In addition, like MS Outlook program, Scanpst.exe needs to update. If you are using an outdated version, it may freeze as well.
- When it comes to Outlook versions, you should notice that when you still use Outlook 2002 and previous versions, if the PST file size is around 2 GB, Scanpst.exe will fail absolutely.
- Provided that you using the inbox tool aims to fixing Outlook error but freezes, it’s likely that the error is severe and beyond the repair capability of the tool.
- What’s more, if your PST file header has been broken, scanpst.exe will make little impact
Mend Malfunctioning Scanpst.exe
According to the mentioned above issues, take the following measures to check and mend the built-in tool.
- First of all, you need to ensure that scanpst.exe is the latest version. Thus download and install all the recent updates available for Outlook.
- Supposing the above two tips cannot repair the tool, you have no choice but to try the last option – reinstall Outlook program.
Proceed to Repair Your PST File
- After mending scanpst.exe, you need to continue with repairing your PST file. If freezing scanpst.exe does stem from its own internal error instead of PST file, the repaired tool must be able to function properly.
- However, if the tool still fails, no matter freezes, doesn’t respond or throws out other errors, you should consider about other factors. Assuming that you are indeed using Outlook old versions, you need to verify whether the PST file is within 2 GB size or not. If not, the issue must lie in the oversized file. In this scenario, you can make use of a 2 GB truncation utility – PST2GB.
- Nevertheless, if all the above mentioned situations doesn’t corporate your case, chances are that your Outlook corruptions or errors have gone beyond what the free utility can do. Therefore, it is time for you to apply a veteran and specialized repair tool, such as DataNumen Outlook Repair.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com