Spelling & grammar check plays an important role in helping us avert unwanted and awkward mistakes when composing emails in Outlook. But if it doesn’t work, how can you get back it?
Once I met the case that Outlook spelling & grammar check cannot work, I will check whether there are some faulty settings in Outlook Options. This method helps me a lot. But one day, I found that it also could not make effect. After resorting to my friends, I discovered another hidden option.
Enable Spelling & Grammar Check in Outlook Options
- To start with, launch Outlook and go to “File” menu. And select “Options”, which will bring out a new window of “Outlook Options”.
- Then in this window, switch to “Mail” tab, under which you need to locate and click on “Spelling and Autocorrect” button.
- Next in the new window, on “Proofing” tab, you can find the final option “When correcting spelling in Outlook”. You should check if “Check spelling as you type”, “Mark grammar errors as you type” and “Check grammar with spelling” are selected or not.
- If not, select them right now. And click several “OK” to save the changes and try to see if the function has worked or not. If they’ve selected already, then you should concern about if the function is disabled in “Proofing Language Options”.
Configure Proofing Language Options
- So as to set proofing language options, you have to create a new message. Just click “New Email” in Home ribbon.
- Then in the New Message window, you should switch to “Review” tab, under which you can locate a button called “Language”.
- Click on this button and select “Set Proofing Language” from the drop-down list.
- Next in the new popup dialog box, you should deselect the “Do not check spelling or grammar” option.
- Later click “Set as default” button to apply this change to all new messages.
- Eventually click “OK” to save the change and back to new message window, trying this function once again.
In general, through setting the above two options, it is greatly possible that the spelling & grammar check will be activated. But if the issue persists, it may be due to some uncanny Outlook errors, which will take a further research.
Never Bypass Any Small Outlook Errors
It is known that Outlook errors may occur at any time, which may cause poor performance, function malfunctioning and so on. Sometimes, Outlook can restore by itself. Once it recovers, people are inclined to bypass those errors, which is the most severe mistake. We should pay attention to those errors and try to avoid them occurring again. If we opt to ignore them, with mounting errors, Outlook will crash and Outlook file will be damaged. In that case, we should resort to third party software like DataNumen Outlook Repair to recover Outlook items.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com