Outlook allows its users to delete messages from their Inboxes and folders. There are two types of deletion operations available for Outlook users, normal and permanent deletion. If you accidentally delete an e-mail message, however, there are also a variety of ways that you can recover it before the message and the data in the message is lost completely.
If your Outlook inbox is starting to look a little cluttered, you might want to consider going through and deleting e-mails that you no longer need.
Because we realize that “mistakes” often happen, however, we’re also going to show you how you can quickly recover deleted Outlook e-mails to prevent data loss.
How to delete e-mails in Outlook
There are two ways that you can delete e-mails on Outlook: normal deletion and permanent deletion.
When you initially delete an e-mail on Outlook, you are deleting it “normally”. These are the steps you need to take.
- Go to your Inbox.
- Select the message that you want to delete.
- At the top of the window, on the reading pane, you will see a small icon that looks like a trash can with a lid. To the right of this icon, you will see the word “Delete.” When you have selected the e-mail you want to delete, click on this.
You can delete multiple e-mails at the same time this way. Just select more than one e-mail before pressing “Delete.”
You can also delete all the e-mails in a folder by taking these steps.
- Open the folder you want to empty.
- At the top of the message list, you are going to see a check box. Select this and it will select all the messages on the folder.
- Go to the top of the reading page and look for the option “Empty folder”, all the messages will be deleted.
How to permanently delete e-mails on Outlook
When you delete an item “normally”, the e-mails you choose to delete will disappear from their original location. However, they have yet to be permanently deleted.
Instead, these messages are moved to your “Deleted Items” folder. They will stay there until you choose to “Empty folder”.
Even if you choose to empty your deleted items folder, an e-mail will still stay on your system, in your Recoverable items. Removing them from there will require the following steps.
- Go to “Folders” and find the folder named “Deleted items” and right-click.
- There should be a list of options presented, find and choose the option “Recover items deleted from this folder”
- Now, choose the option “Empty folder”.
What to do if you’ve accidently deleted an e-mail
As you can see, it’s not that easy to permanently delete an e-mail. If you can’t find a message and suspect it has been deleted, you can check the “Deleted Items” or “Recoverable Items” and if it is there, choose to restore it.
If, however, you didn’t notice the message was missing BEFORE you emptied and permanently deleted items you will probably need to use a data recovery program.
You will want to run the recovery operation as soon as possible because some other Outlook operations, such as receiving new e-mails, will decrease the program’s success rate. That’s why, as soon as possible, you should install DataNumen Outlook Repair on your computer or laptop.