Among all of the charts in Excel, the step chart in Excel can clearly show the data changes. In this post, let’s see how to create this kind of chart.
A step chart in Excel has a wide range of use. In an ordinary line chart, you can only know the trend of data. But in the step chart, you can know the detailed changes of the numbers. Below we will show you how to create such a chart.
Arrange the Range
Now we will use this sample to create a step chart.
- Rearrange the range in the worksheet. You can refer to the image below.
When you copy cells, you need to be more careful. The range with the same color should be the same.
- And then select the new range.
- After that, click the button “Sort & Filter” in the toolbar.
- Next choose the option “Custom Sort” in the drop-down list.
- In the “Sort” window, choose the “Date” for the “Sort by”.
- And then choose the “Custom List” for the “Order”.
- In the “Custom Lists” window, choose the target list.
- And then click the button “OK”.
- In this step, click the button “OK” in the “Sort” window. Therefore, you have finished sorting this range.
- Next you need to add a help column into the range. You can also refer to the image below.
The header of the help column is the same as the first column. You can also give a new name according to your need. And make sure that the number is in corresponding with the first column.
Create a Step Chart
In this part, you will know how to create such a chart.
- Select the second and third column in the chart.
- And then click the tab “Insert” in the ribbon.
- After that, click the button “line”.
- In the drop-down list, choose the line chart.
- After that, you will see the “Chart Tools” tab in the ribbon. Click the button “Select Data” in the toolbar.
- In the new window, remove the “Date” series in the “Legend Entries”.
- And then choose the “DataNumen Excel Repair”.
- Next click the button “Edit” in the “Horizontal Axis Labels”.
- In the “Axis Labels” window, choose data in the help column for the range.
- And then click the button “OK” in this window.
- After that, click “OK” in the “Select Data Source” window.
- Now right click the horizontal axis in the chart.
- And then choose the option “Format Axis”.
- In the “Format Axis” window, choose the option “Date axis” for the axis type.
- In the end, close this window.
Now you will come back to the worksheet. And you can see the step chart.
Besides, you can also make other modifications according to your need. And the step chart in Excel can show the data changes clearly. The next time, you can also create such a chart in your worksheet.
Save Time on Repairing Excel Files
Excel corruption will happen to almost every user. And you can hardly escape from it if you use Excel frequently. When you suffer from the data catastrophe, it is advisable to spend time repairing those files. If your work depends largely on Excel, you will certainly suffer a lot. Now, with a powerful tool, you can repair corrupted Excel xls data in a short period. This tool is equipped with the most highly developed technology and it can help you save a lot time in the recovery process.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair corrupted doc data and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com