When you access to new emails, create new outlook items or carry out other common operations, you may receive the error – “The messaging interface has returned an unknown error”. This article will probe into 5 effective solutions to it.
On one occasion, when I tried to open one of my new emails, Outlook threw out this error – “The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook”. I clicked “OK” to close the error message. But when I tried the next time, this error popped up as well. After asking for help on many Outlook forums, I got the following suggestions to solve this error involved with the messaging interface.
1. Restart Outlook
Of course, when you meet this error, what you should do right now is to follow its suggestion. Just restart Outlook to verify whether the problem persists. If the error is really pertaining to the messaging interface, restarting Outlook will solve this issue automatically. But if not, it is likely that this error is more complicated than its surface. So, continue with the other methods.
2. Verify if Outlook Is in Compatibility Mode
Another cause worthy of concern is whether Outlook is in compatibility mode.
- Close Outlook and head to “Start Menu”. Enter “outlook.exe” in the search field.
- And next right click the shown program and select “properties” from the right click menu.
- In the popup dialog box, switch to “Compatibility” tab and check if the Outlook is running in compatibility mode. If it is, deselect “Run this program in compatibility mode for”. If not, this error must stem from other reasons.
3. Create a New Outlook Profile
In order to judge if the corrupted profile is to blame. You can try to resolve this error via creating a new Outlook file.
- At the beginning, close Outlook and go to “Start Menu” > “Control Panel” > “Mail”.
- Then in the new dialog box of “Mail”, click “Show Profiles” button.
- In the next screen, click “Add” button to create new profile. Later you can just follow the onscreen instructions to set up email accounts.
- After creating a new profile and account setting, you can start Outlook and try to send emails, create any new items for examining if the error persists.
4. Fix the Error in Original PST File by Scanpst.exe
Virtually creating a new profile and re-add accounts isn’t the best method, which just try to escape the error and abandons the data in original PST file. Therefore, apart from the above method, you can also attempt to directly fix the error via Outlook Inbox Repair Tool, which is a free utility in Outlook. You can easily find out it by searching “Scanpst” in Windows explorer. After running it, you can select the target PST file and repair it. If the error in the PST file is within what Scanpst.exe can do, it will be solved definitely. But if not, this tool will keep hanging up and even throw up a prompt that it cannot recognize the error.
5. Turn to other Repair Tools for Help
After Scanpst.exe underperform also, you have no choice but to fall back on other more reliable repair tool like DataNumen Outlook Repair. It can check out the concrete the error info and fix it without any fuss. Besides, not only can it fix errors but also it is capable of recovering deleted items, retrieving severely damaged Outlook File and so on.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com