Many users complain that they always receive the error – “The Deleted Items folder is available” every time they delete items from their IMAP mailbox in Outlook. This article will introduce 3 quick steps to dispose of this error.
The Outlook error “The Deleted Items is unavailable” must happen to the IMAP accounts. When you try to delete an item, this error will pop up immediately. Also, in such a situation, you won’t be able to delete any items. Actually two causes can bring out this case. One is that your IMAP mailbox indeed has no Deleted Items folder. The other one is that your Outlook doesn’t assign the correct deleted items folder. Therefore, on basis of the two reasons, you can resolve them by taking the following steps:
Step 1: Subscribe the Deleted Items Folder for IMAP Accounts
In the first place, you should ensure if you have subscribed a Deleted Items folder in IMAP account in that the most common reason is the missing Deleted Items. Here are the elaborate steps to check it.
- Firstly, click on the “Inbox” folder in your IMAP mailbox.
- Then switch to “Folder” tab and click on “IMAP Folders” button.
- Next in the new “IMAP Folders” dialog box, click on “Query” button to show all the available folders.
- After that, check if the Deleted Item folder is subscribed or not. If not, pitch on the “Deleted Items” folder, and then click “Subscribe” button.
Step 2: Create a New Deleted Items Folder Manually
After subscribing the Deleted Items folder, you need expand all the folders to see if there has been this folder. If you still have the Deleted Items folder, you should create it manually. To create a new folder, you can easily click on the “New Folder” button under the “Folder” tab, like the following screenshot:
But sometimes, you may receive another error, shown as the picture below:
It is because that you’re trying to create a new folder under non-root folder. More often than not, for most IMAP accounts, the root folder is “Inbox”. That is to say, you have to create new folders under “Inbox”.
Step 3: Assign the Correct Deleted Items Folder
After manually creating the Deleted Items Folder, you have to assign it. Follow the operations below:
- For a start, go to “File” > “Account Settings”.
- In the “Account Settings” window, double click on the IMAP account under “Email” tab.
- Then in the popup “Change Account” window, hit “More Settings” button.
- In the next “Internet Email Settings” dialog box, move to “Deleted Items” tab.
- Select the target folder in which you want to store the deleted items.
- Eventually click several “OK” until all the dialog boxes are closed.
After completing the 3 steps introduced above, the error – “The Deleted Items is unavailable” will no longer occur.
Don’t Panic In Case of Outlook Errors
No applications can boast that they are able to avoid errors. The same is true for Outlook. As long as figuring out the real reasons behind them, we can solve them with ease. For example, assuming that Outlook malfunctions due to faulty add-ins, you can disable it to fix the issues. If Outlook cannot start as normal due to PST data error, you can use Inbox repair tool to scan and repair the file.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair SQL database problem and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com