In this article I will introduce two good approaches to make Outlook clean up the deleted and expired emails in Deleted Items folder automatically.
We always delete the useless emails. But we all know that the deleted emails are not deleted completely. They are just transferred into the Deleted Items. Sometimes we need to retrieve them in order to find some forgotten information. Thus we could find them in Deleted Items. However, to expired emails which are really of no value, we still need to clean them at regular intervals, lest that Deleted Items folder is entirely crammed.
In Outlook, there are two ways to make it automatically clean deleted items. That is using Auto-Archive as well as ruling the properties of Deleted Items. Now I will introduce them separately.
First: Use Auto-Archive to Clean Deleted Items Automatically
- Turn to “File” page and click “Options” item.
- Locate and pitch on “Advanced” option.
- You will see the “Auto-Archive” items. And then click “Auto-Archive settings”.
- In the popup dialog, you should firstly tick the “Run Auto-Archive every…” Then choose the specific number. I suggest that users set Auto-Archive to run every 2 or 3 days.
- Next rule the item – “Clean out items older than …” I still prefer to set “2 or 3 days”, which will provide more insurance.
- Finally tick the item “Permanently delete old items”. And click “OK” to save the settings.
Second: Rule Properties of Deleted Items to Clean Deleted Items Automatically
- In “Home” page, right click “Deleted Items” and select “Properties”.
- Click “Auto-Archive” menu, in which you will see the same setting items.
- Set to Clean out items older than 2 or 3 days, and tick the item “Permanently delete old items”.
- Finally click “OK” to save the settings.
In addition to the two methods by auto-archive, users can also set outlook to empty deleted items folders when exiting Outlook. Users could find the setting in File, Options, Advanced, Outlook start and exit. But this way is not very safe.
With the cleanup function, users could pay less attention to these worthless emails. This is a boon to users who use Outlook frequently. With more and more emails existing in Outlook, users had better to make a backup of Outlook files. If Outlook gets corrupted, users could use both Inbox Repair tool – Scanpst.exe and DataNumen Outlook Repair for outlook recovery. DataNumen Outlook Repair is a third party outlook repair tool. It supports to recover variety of outlook files, no matter emails, attachments, contacts and so on. Besides, it can minimize the corruption.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com