In this article, we will propose you 2 quick ways to select texts with similar or same formatting in your Word document.
Selecting texts is a vital part in document processing. And our need to select texts varies from scenario to scenario. So today, we come to the topic of selecting texts with same or similar formatting.
First, let’s see when you are going to employ such a skill. Following are 2 situations:
- To check whether a text is set in correct formatting. There can be extremely similar formatting, such as the “Heading 2” and “Heading 3” in “Styles”. Therefore, we could easily apply wrong formatting.
- To modify all texts with the same formatting. It happens quite often that you format the document while editing, but only to find all texts needed to be reformatted. For example, all subtitles set in Heading 2 should be changed into Heading 3. Obviously, selecting and resetting them one by one isn’t the quickest way out.
To sum up, with the 2 methods here, you can fulfill your work in a more efficient manner.
Method 1: Set Word Options to Track Formatting
For instance, on the example below are two subtitles in similar formatting, but we cannot distinguish them easily.
- At the beginning, click “File” tab.
- Then click “Options” to open “Word Options” dialog box.
- Next, choose “Advanced”.
- And go to “Editing options” page. Then check both “Keep track of formatting” and “Mark formatting inconsistencies” boxes.
- Remember to click “OK” to save the change.
- Now select a text whose formatting needed to be changed.
- Then click “Home” tab.
- Next, click “Select” in “Editing” group.
- And choose “Select Text with Similar Formatting” on the drop-down menu.
- Now you can see all texts with same or similar formatting are selected. And the one which is set in different formatting actually has a blue line below. You will have no problem figuring out the outsider and you can conveniently reformat the texts in same formatting.
Method 2: Use “Find” Option
- Firstly, make sure you have opened the target document.
- Secondly, click “Home” tab.
- Go to “Editing” group and click the upside-down triangle on “Find” button.
- Choose “Advanced Find” to open the “Find and Replace” dialog box.
- Then click “More” button on the left-down corner of the box to extend more options.
- Next, click “Format” button on the left-down corner. You can see many options available on the list. Just choose one accordingly. For example, here we go “Paragraph”.
- Then “Find Paragraph” dialog box will pop up. Make sure you are under “Indents and Spacing” option. Then choose the level of the target texts in “Outline level”. Here we will go “Level 4” as an example.
- Click “OK”.
- Next go back to “Find and Replace” dialog box. Click “Find In”.
- Choose “Main Document”. Then you can see all level 4 texts are selected, including the text similar formatting.
- If you need to change the formatting, you can click “Replace” option.
- Then put cursor in “Replace with” text box. And repeat step 6, 7, and 8.
Comparison of 2 Methods
|Method 1: Set Word Option to Track Formatting||1. Easy operations
2. No need to know the original text formatting
3. Best for checking the consistency of text formatting
|This method has the possibility of failing to select or mark out some texts in similar formatting.|
|Method 2: Use “Find” Option||1. This method is of higher flexibility.
2. This method works more precisely.
3. Best for reformatting the texts in same formatting
|1. The operations are a little complex.
2. You must know the exact original formatting of texts.
3. You cannot know if texts are in same or similar formatting or not.
Keep a State- of-the-art Tool at Hand
Our computers and personal digital devices store thousands of files. Simply to manage them is already a huge task, not to mention that you can easily lose them due to all possible internal and external factors. This is why we highly suggest you keep a state-of-the-art docx repair product.
Vera Chen is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including tool to repair corrupt Excel and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com