When you input leading zeros into cells, you will find that Excel will remove zeros from cells. Here we will introduce two methods to keep them in the cells.
There are cases that you will input numbers with leading zeros. However, even if you manually input the zero into cells, you cannot see it when you press “Enter”. This will cause trouble to you when those leading zeros have special meanings. In order to help you solve this problem, you can use the two methods below.
Method 1: Input an Apostrophe
This method is very easy to use.
- Click the cell that you need to input a number with leading zero.
- And then before you input the number, input an apostrophe into the cell.
- After that, input the number with leading zero.
- When you press the button “Enter” or click other cell, you will still see the leading zero in the cell.
There is also a small green triangle in the cell. This means that this number is stores as text in this cell. You can just ignore it.
Method 2: Change Cells Category
You will find that if you use the first method, every time you need to input numbers with leading zeros, you need to input apostrophes. Most of the time, the numbers will be in a range. You can finish this task quickly by changing cells category.
- Select the range in the worksheet.
- And then press the shortcut keys “Ctrl +1” on the keyboard. Thus, you will see the “Format Cells” window.
- In this new pop-up window, choose the option “Text” for the category.
- After that, click the button “OK” in the window to save the setting.
- Now you can come back to the worksheet. When you input numbers with leading zeros into cells, you don’t need to enter apostrophe manually. The leading zeros will still stay in cells.
The two methods all change the cell category. When you only need to input several numbers with leading zeros, you can use the first methods. If there are many cells, you can change the category at first.
When Excel Corrupts
When you find that Excel corrupts, you will suffer from a lot of severe results. You cannot get access to your files, you cannot find your files, or you lose the data and information in those damaged files. All those conditions mean that you meet with data disaster. To solve the problem, you can apply a recovery tool. This software can repair corrupt xls and solve other errors in Excel.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair Word docx document and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com