The screen of computer is not large enough to display all the cells with values. However, the feature of data form can help you.
In a worksheet, you will certainly input a lot of data and information into cells. However, the large capacity of Excel will also cause a problem. You are not able to see all the numbers in a whole row or column at once. In our previous article How to Switch Among Hundreds of Columns Swiftly in Excel, we have introduced an Excel tip of creating names to switch columns. Thus, you can quickly navigate to the target column. However, if you need to check a certain value in one cell, this feature is not convenient enough. Therefore, you can apply the feature of data form.
Create a Data Form
In the image below, there are 27 columns in the worksheet. And you may follow the steps below to create a data form for the worksheet.
- Click the small arrow in the quick access toolbar.
- In the drop-down list, click the option “More Commands”.
- And then choose the option “All Commands” of the “Choose commands from”.
- Next drag the scrollbar until you see the option “Form”.
- Now click the form.
- And then click the button “Add” to add it into the quick access toolbar.
- After that, click “OK”.
Thus, the button of form will appear in the quick access toolbar.
- Now you can create a form. Click any of a cell in the target area.
- Next click the button of “Form”.
Thus, the form will appear in the interface. And all the columns will appear in the form with the corresponding values.
On the other hand, if there are more than 32 columns in the worksheet, you will see this information like the image show below what you try to create a form.
Thus, if your worksheet contains more than 32 columns, you are not able to create it.
Use Data Form to Check Values
Now that you have created a data form, you can use it to check certain values. The data form allows you to find the values in certain rows. Therefore, all the column headers will appear in the form.
- Click the button “Criteria” in the form.
- Next input the row header that you need to check. For example, here we want to check the sales volume of March. And we input “March” into the first text box.
- After that, click the button “Find Next”.
Therefore, all the corresponding number will appear in the form. Here the wildcards are also available to search certain rows.
Except for find certain values, you can also modify worksheets, add new rows or delete rows. You can also try those features in your worksheet.
A Comparison of the Two Methods
In the table below, we compare the “Data Form” method with the “Create Names” method mentioned in article How to Switch Among Hundreds of Columns Swiftly in Excel, and list all the advantages and disadvantages of these two methods:
|Method Comparison||Create Names||Data Form|
|Advantages||1. It will not be limited by the column numbers.
2. The comparison between different rows is available.
3. You can modify values directly in cells. Therefore, you can monitor the changes easily.
|1. All the columns will be listed in the form.
2. Except for finding values, you can also modify cells directly in the form.
3. Even if you don’t remember the exact name of rows, you can use wildcards in forms.
|Disadvantages||1. You can only move to the target columns. As for the exact cell, you need to find it manually.
2. Sometimes you will mix the names in the name manager if you have also created other names in worksheet.
|1. The maximum capacity of columns is 32.
2. You cannot monitor the changes if you modify cells in data form. And this can easily lead to mistake.
Therefore, the next time you want to find values in a worksheet with many columns, you can apply either one according to your actual need.
Errors still Exist in Excel Application
Excel has brought us great convenience. However, it still has errors. And once those errors take effect in Excel, your data and information may disappear. Hence, you may prepare an Excel repair tool at hand. Once you find that the information disappears, you can apply this software recover the damaged file.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including word recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com