This article attempts to provide an in-depth understanding and relevance of Data collector in SQL Server 2017.
The Data Collector is a SQL Server 2017 core-component that helps in collecting a different set of data. Data Collection can run continuously as well as on a schedule defined by the user. The data collectors store all the data in a management data warehouse in a form in a relational database.
It offers a central point from which the user can collect the data across the jungle of different applications and servers. This collection point is not restricted to sources for its collection of data.
Features of Data Collector
- Data Collector also enables the user to adjust their data collection based on their production or test environment. It comprises of its own database warehouse, which allows users to manage their data by setting retention period on their existing data.
- Data Collector also supports data collection through dynamic tuning that is extensible via API.
- Unlike most collectors, Data Collectors allows the user to make schedules for collection period which can automatically help in boosting your company performance.
- It requires minimum user involvement and allows users to access even while it’s running.
- Data Collector is also a secure way of storing and managing existing user files. Users can manage their data collection file using Transact-SQL.
SQL Integration Services and Server Agent are both integrated by data collector and use them extensively. So before you start working with Data Collector, here are a few things that you should keep in mind.
SQL Server Agent is mostly used for running and scheduling collection jobs. While Integration Services are used for executing packages that further collect data from
Benefits of Data Collector
• Data Collector can help in managing multiple aspects of the collection of data, like disabling or enabling data collection, or changing the collection set configuration, or just viewing and analyzing the data in its management data warehouse.
• Users can also Use reports for obtaining information regarding the monitoring system capacity or troubleshooting system performance through its System Data Collection Set Reports.
• Use Management Data Warehouse to efficiently collect and allocate the data from the server from any given data collection target.
• Users can also use SQL Server Profiler and create a SSMS Trace Collection Set for exploiting the trace capabilities of server-side of SQL Server Profiler in order to export trace definition which the user can use for creating a collection set collector type by using the Generic SQL Trace type.
Terminology Associated with Data Collector
The characteristics and behaviors of a specified ‘Target’ are called the Target type.
It is a data source, specified by the target type that transfers data till the collector type.
A logical wrapper which is covered in SSIS packages that provide the actual mechanism which should be used for collecting data and uploading it in management data warehouse.
Collection Item can be defined as an instance of a Data collector type.
It is the collected group of items which has been formed.
It is the method which is being used for collecting and storing the data.
Management Data Warehouse
It is a relational database warehouse that is used for storing collected data.
While the 2017 edition of SQL Server is an outstanding piece of software, it still can fall prey to database crashes. Invest in an mdf recovery tool to stay safe.
Victor Simon is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including access recovery and sql recovery software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com
Leave a Reply