You will use different colors for different cells according to the values in those cells. And here we will introduce the method to sort cells by cell colors in your Excel worksheet.
In an Excel worksheet, you will certainly use different colors to mark different cells. And the Excel worksheet may be similar to the image below.
Several days ago, you have used different colors for different cells. And now you need to sort this column by the cell colors. And the steps below will show you how to finish this task.
Sort Cells by Cell Colors
- Click one cell within the range. Besides, you can also select the whole range.
- And then click the button “Sort & Filter” in the toolbar.
- Next you will see a sub menu appear. Here click the option “Custom Sort”.
- Now you will see the window of “Sort”. Click the small arrow for the “Column”.
- And then in the drop-down list, choose the column that you need to sort.
- After that, click the small arrow of the “Sort On”.
- And then in the sub menu, choose the option “Cell Color”.
- After that, you will see that there will be a new option. Here click the arrow of the “Order”. And you will see all the color choices in the list.
- Now choose one color according to your need.
- Next click in the last text box. There are two options available. And you can choose one according to your need.
- After that, click the button “OK” in the window. Therefore, you can see the result in the worksheet.
All the cells with blue color are ranked in top of this column. In addition, you may wonder why other cells with the same color are still separate. You need to make additional settings for those cells.
- Now open the “Sort” window again.
- After that, click the button “Add Level” in this window.
- Thus, you have inserted another criterion. Repeat the step 4-10 and set this new criterion.
- In this example, because there are 3 different colors, you need to add a third level. When you finish the setting, your sort window will be similar with the image below.
- In the end, click the button “OK”. And now you can check the result in your worksheet.
In your actual worksheet, you can also change the order of the color according to your need. You can see that the method to sort by cell colors is very easy to manipulate. However, you also need to know that if you use conditional formatting rules to format cells, this custom sort will not take effect.
Be Aware of Your Sensitive Files
Some sensitive Excel files in your computer will contain mission-critical data and information. Therefore, you need to pay special attention on them. And sometimes, you will meet with Excel corruption in your computer. To handle this problem correctly, we strongly recommend that you can use our Excel recovery tool to repair Excel data damage. With this tool at hand, you will never need to worry about those sensitive files.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair Word damage and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com