Looking to optimize Analysis services – run through this bunch of tips
Analysis Services play an important role in delivering OLAP or online analytical processing and other business intelligence applications. So, it is important to check out some quick tips on Optimizing Analysis Services in SQL Server for an overall better performance.
- Separating OLTP Server from OLAP Server when they are with Heavy Traffic: The first useful tip in increasing the Analysis Services in an SQL Server is to separate the OLTP Server from the OLAP Server when both these servers are found to be occupied with heavy user traffic because placing cubes on already busy server can slow down the performance.
- Opt for Usage Based Optimization Wizard for Optimizing Partition Performance: Second handy tip to enhance the Analysis Services in your SQL Server is to opt for Usage Based Optimization Wizard that can be run through the Analysis Manager by right clicking the matching cube and choosing the Usage Based Optimization.
- Use Read Only Database Option: Another quick tip is to use Read Only Option from the database that can actually help reducing a lot of time that otherwise will go wasted in processing the cube and by choosing the Read Only option you can actually speed up queries for the data.
- Generate Indexes in Data Warehouse Database using a Fill Factor: Use the Fill Factor option of value 100 to make sure that the index pages will be filled to the maximum limit, so as to speed up the queries and decrease the space required to store the whole index data.
- Increase the Minimum Allocated Memory for your Dedicated Server: You may not know but the default value for Minimum Allocated Memory is set at ½ of the memory occupied by the server computer, so if you increase this Minimum Allocated memory, you ultimately get to enhance the Analysis Services.
- Increase Process Buffer Size when OLAP Server has a Big RAM: Process Buffer Size is the option that determines the amount of data that is processed in the memory before any I/O option is performed and the bigger this value, the lesser I/O Operations will be needed.
- Increase Read Ahead Buffer Size when OLAP Server has a Big RAM: Another quick tip to optimize the Analysis Services in SQL Server is to increase the Read Ahead Buffer Size when you have a lot of RAM available because the larger this buffer size, the less time will it require for disk read operation. The default value for this option is set at 4 and you can easily increase it to 8 for a better performance.
- Increase Aggregation Level for Cubes to Enhance the Performance of Queries related to Analysis Services: Lastly, remember the bigger the level of a cube’s aggregation, the faster its queries will get executed; however more space on the disk will be consumed and therefore more time will be consumed in processing the whole cube. So, the best option is to set an increased aggregation level for your cubes.
Even the latest edition of SQL Server can crash and put your records in jeopardy
SQL crashes can happen in the latest 2016 edition too. When a SQL crash occurs, all the records stored in the database file can come at risk. To avoid a data loss scenario, run a sql server recovery application like DataNumen SQL Recovery to get back all the data in a jiffy. This powerful tool can swing into action and extract records from a corrupted SQL file while maintaining complete data integrity. Moreover the tool also comes handy when you need to recover an accidently deleted record.
Alan Chen is President & Chairman of DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including access recovery and sql recovery software products. For more information visit https://www.datanumen.com/
Leave a Reply