The selected email will be automatically marked as read when it changes. Someone has complaint about it. Here is the means to disable it.
In general, automatic “mark as read” does improve our efficiency a lot. Through it, we wouldn’t be required to mark the message as read manually. Therefore, I have never paid attention to “Mark as Read” until I encountered the situation where the unread message is marked as read automatically. It happened when I was just skimming through my emails at a quick pace. Indeed I haven’t opened the message, let alone read it.
Moreover, there is another frequent trouble. For instance, when I open my friend’s mailbox, I’ve read his email but he hasn’t yet. In such a scenario, I hope, Outlook won’t mark it as read. Actually the two problems mentioned above can be addressed by disabling automatic “mark as read”.
Prevent Emails from Being Marked as Read Automatically
- For a start, in “Home” page, switch to “View” tab.
- In “Layout” ribbon, we need to locate and click “reading pane” button.
- Then from the drop-down list, we would be required to select “Options”.
- Next a new dialog box will pop up, in which the first two options are focused on “mark as read”. In order to disable automatic “Mark as Read”, we should unmark the checkboxes next to the first two items.
- Finally click “OK” button to save the option settings.
Delay Marking as Read
Provided that we still want the messages to be marked as read automatically, we can delay this process. Of course we hope that marking as read works only when we are really reading the message instead of skimming through the message. Under such circumstances, we can delay mark as read in “Reading Pane Options” as well. We can tick the first item in “Reading Options” and set a preferred time limitation, such as 5 seconds or more.
Mark as Read by Shortcuts
If we have thoroughly stopped this automatic function, we should do it manually by selecting “mark as read” option in right click menu. Besides, we can make flexible use of shortcuts to mark as read.
- To mark an email as read, we can press “Ctrl + Enter” or “Ctrl + Q”.
- To mark an email as unread, we can press “Ctrl + U”.
Get Hold of a Remarkable Repair Tool
Faced with occasional Outlook corruptions, we had better get hold of an excellent repair tool in advance, such that we can rescue damaged Outlook files as soon as possible. We can try the inbox repair tool – Scanpst.exe. But in most situations, it is ineffective. Then an external tool, namely DataNumen Outlook Repair, is highly recommended. It can scan and repair Outlook files rapidly.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com