For some reasons, many users would like to move the hard drive of an old computer to a new computer. However, they are worried about whether it is right or not. Now, in this article, we will discuss about this issue elaborately.
It’s known that all the computer data are actually stored in its internal hard drive, no matter the computer system data or common files, etc. It means that if the drive fails, all the PC data will be susceptible to get corrupt, like damaged Outlook file. Thus, you should attach great importance to data protection.
Due to the fact mentioned above, a great number of users hope to move the hard drive of an old computer to a new one, in order to directly transfer the data of old computer to the new. However, in reality, there are still many users who are panic about this operation. They lack specialized knowledge and clear ideas about it, and even do not know whether it is okay or not. Now, in the followings, we’ll look at this issue and probe into it in detail.
Not Recommended Actually
To be honest, it isn’t recommended to move an old hard drive to a new computer due to the following reasons:
- First of all, this operation is an arduous task. You ought to take up the hard drive and install it in new PC, which requires special tools and gentle actions. Any too violent actions will lead to drive damage in this process.
- Secondly, different computer has different configurations and hardware, like different CPU and motherboard. When you move an old hard drive to a new computer, the hard drive will configure itself for the hardware. It can bring up various errors.
- Thirdly, moving a hard drive from an old PC to a new one is not as simple as what you think. This procedure can cause big or small problems. One of the most issues must be data loss.
But You Can Try It
Although it is not highly suggested, you still can take a shot. However, before it, it is prudent for you to make some precautions, as follows:
- Back up Data: Without any doubts, you have to back up your data anyway, no matter the old computer or new computer. Otherwise, if something wrong occurs unexpectedly, your data will give you a farewell permanently.
- Specialized Skills: The whole operation, actually, demands professional skills. Therefore, you had better contact some experts for assistance.
Treat the Old Hard Drive as an External One
Virtually, if what you want is just use the old hard drive as a data storage device, why don’t you install it into an external drive enclosure? It refers to using it as an external hard drive. You can buy an external drive enclosure based on your drive size, drive interface (SATA or IDE). Later, just install it into this enclosure.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including fix sql and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com
Leave a Reply