Do you notice that Outlook search folders will become inactive if they haven’t been used for a while? They will show in italics and stop updating. This article will focus on this issue and offer the according solutions.
In order to find specific emails more quickly in Outlook, I get used to creating some search folders, such as “For follow Up”, “Today’s Mail” and “Unread Mail”, etc. However, one day one of them shows in italics. Plus, the emails which fit its criteria cannot land into the search folder automatically. I have to click on it to activate it again. So as to keep the search folder active for a longer time, I’ve used the following method.
Keep Search Folders Active for a Longer Time
- To start with, close Outlook and go to “Start Menu”.
- Type “regedit” in the search box and press “enter” key button.
- You may receive a Windows prompt, in which click on “Yes” button directly.
- Then you will enter the Registry Editor, where you ought to find the following registry keys in order: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” > “Software” > “Microsoft” > “Office” > “<version>” > “Outlook” > “Options” > “General”.
Note: As for “versions” field, Outlook 2003 refers to 11.0; Outlook 2007 refers to 12.0; and Outlook 2010 refers to 14.0; Outlook 2013 refers to 15.0; and Outlook 2016 refers to 16.0.
- Next you should right click on “General” key and choose “New” > “DWORD Value”.
- Name the value as “searchofflinekeepalivedays”. After that, double click to open the value.
- In the popup dialog box of “Edit DWORD Value”, you could change its default value data. Change “Base” to “Decimal”, and then type a number between 1 and 999 in “Value Data” field. The number represents the amount of days to keep the search folders active.
- Finally click “OK” to close the dialog box, and exit the Registry Editor.
If You Are Using an Exchange Account in Outlook
If you are using an Exchange Account, the situations will vary with which mode the account is working in.
- In Cached Exchange Mode, you can use the above method as well. But you have to ensure that all the “searchofflinekeepalivedays” value is enabled on all of your computers.
- But in Online Mode, you should use another key “searchonlinekeepalivedays”, adding it to the same path. In addition, if with multiple search folders in your Outlook, you need to set the value data as the number of the search folders that you have.
Prevent Undesired Dangers to Outlook Effectively
As you know, numerous cyber dangers are all around, such as viruses, malware, and phishing, etc. Confronted with them, we should strengthen protection of our data, including Outlook data. Therefore, we should keep tabs on the emails from unknown contacts, never trust in the embedded links or images readily. Besides, it is suggested to procure a top-of-the-line repair tool, like DataNumen Outlook Repair, which can repair Outlook just like a breeze.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com