Someone may have faced the issue that Outlook rules cannot work automatically. They can only make effects when you press “Run rules now” button manually. This article will tell how to deal with this issue.
If you’ve used Outlook for decades, errors cannot be avoided thoroughly. But if you figure out their causes, it will be much easier to solve them. For instance, the malfunctioning rules can be triggered by the corruption in SRS file, rules, and even your mailbox. Now let’s further probe into this issue.
Reset Send/Receive Settings File
Corrupted Outlook send/receive settings file is likely to result in this problem. In addition, due to the fact that resetting SRS file is very simple, you can take the troubleshooting step of resetting send/receive setting in the first place.
- At the beginning, close Outlook and head to “Start Menu”.
- Then select “Computer” to open Windows Explorer.
- Copy “C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook” into the address bar and press “Enter”.
- This path will access to the location of SRS file. Find it and name it as “.old” and then close the current window.
- Finally restart Outlook. The SRS file will be recreated automatically. You can continue to check the rule issue. If it persists, you need to consider the corruption of the rules.
Delete All of the Existing Rules
Now that perhaps the rules are damaged, you ought to delete and recreate them. To hard delete all of the existing rules, you can make use of “/cleanrules” switch to start Outlook.
- For a start, close Outlook as usual and go to “Start Menu”.
- Then type “outlook.exe /cleanrules” in the search field.
- Next press “Enter” to start Outlook with “clean rules” command.
- When Outlook starts completely, you can go to “Rules & Alerts” and see all the previous rules have gone. You have to recreate them.
- Finally after recreating the rules, you can check whether they can work by themselves. If they still cannot, there is no doubt that the problem lies in the corruption within your mailbox, including the location and integrity of your Outlook file.
Verify if the Location of Outlook Data File Is Correct
- Go to “File” menu, and click on “Account Settings” button.
- Then switch to “Data File” tab, under which select the target Outlook data file and click “Open File Location” button.
- In the subsequent window, you can identify if the Outlook file is here. If not, you need to relocate the file. But if it is, the rule issue must arise from the error in the Outlook file.
Check Integrity of Your Outlook File
In order to check the integrity of Outlook file, you can take recourse to the inbox repair tool, Scanpst.exe. It is especially expert at fixing Outlook errors. After finding and running it, click “Browse” button to select the file and “Start” to scan the file. Later you can just follow the onscreen instructions to repair it. After repair finishes, you can restart Outlook to examine the rules. If the problem remains unchanged, the last resort for you is to apply a mightier tool.
Fall back on a Mightier Repair Tool
To be honest, Scanpst.exe cannot recognize and fix the complex errors, not to mention the severe corruption. Hence when Scanpst.exe fails, you can take aid of other potent tools like DataNumen Outlook Repair. It can fix the errors and repair the corruption in the Outlook file like a breeze.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com