When someone borrows your computer, they can access your Outlook Items directly via searching in Start Menu. In this case, are you concerned about your privacy? This article will delve into how to remove your Outlook items from Start Menu.
As a saying goes, every coin has two sides. Even though locating Outlook items through search field in Start Menu is very convenient, it can also bring some troubles. For instance, when people enter some specific words in search field of Start Menu, there will appear multiple Outlook items whose names contain the words. Therefore, people can simply locate and access them in Start Menu. Under this circumstance, if you attach great importance to your Outlook privacy, you are better off taking the following methods to protect your privacy.
Change the Registry Value
- At the very outset, you should turn off Outlook application and go to “Start Menu”. And type “regedit” in search field. Click the shown program to open Registry Editor.
- Then in the Registry Editor, head to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” > “Software” > “Microsoft” > “Windows” > “CurrentVersion” > “Policies”.
- You need to right click “Policies” key and select “New” > “Key”. Rename the new key as “Explorer”.
- Next right click the “Explorer” key and select “New” > “DWORD Value”. As for the 32-bit or 64-bit, you can choose either as per the operating system on your computer.
- Later on the right pane, you ought to name the new created DWORD Value as “NoSearchCommInStartMenu”.
- Right click the new value and choose “Modify” from the context menu. In the new popup dialog box, change the value data as “1”.
- Click “OK” to save the changes, and click X icon to close Registry Editor.
- Finally restart your computer. And you can have a try in Start Menu.
If no accidents, Outlook items will never appear over there. Or even though there are Outlook items, when you click it to try to access it, you will get an alert that the items are invalid.
Disable Outlook in Indexing Options
Besides, if you need, you can opt to disable Outlook in Indexing Options as well.
- For a start, go to Control Pane, and select “Indexing Options” applet.
- Then in the new window, click “Modify” button.
- In the subsequent screen, you should deselect “Microsoft Outlook” and click “OK” to save the changes.
Using the above two approaches altogether, you will never see any Outlook items in Start Menu, such that your Outlook privacy can be protected to a great extent.
Install Genuine Antivirus Software
Apart from preventing other people from accessing your private information on your computer, you should also block the potential attacks and stealing on the Internet. As we all know, various viruses and malware keep spring up nowadays. Therefore, in order to avert severe Outlook corruption, you had better install genuine antivirus software. If unfortunately, your Outlook is attacked abruptly. You have no choice but to take aid of a powerful repair tool like DataNumen Outlook Repair. It can assist you recover Outlook with minimized corruption like a breeze.
Shirley Zhang is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including sql recovery and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com