In this article, we are going to see how to install Exchange Server 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2 step by step. It covers all the pre-requisites, installation and will act as a ready reckoner for your future use.
In the previous article, we have seen the different roles and their functionalities in Exchange Server 2010. Now we are going to see how to install it. I am assuming you have an existing active directory. If you are new to AD concepts, I strongly recommend you to read this article which was published by Microsoft.
There are certain prerequisites that we need to make sure in place before we start the installation of our Exchange Server.
- Forest functional level should be 2003 or later. Schema master should be running on Windows Server 2003 or later. We are running our DC in 2008 R2 level so we should be good to go.
- You need to have a Windows Server 2008 which should be a domain joined machine
- Microsoft Office 2010 filter pack should be installed. You can get it here
- We need to install the following components before we install Client Access Server, HUB and Mailbox. Run the PowerShell with elevated mode and execute the following command. It can be installed through GUI also but it will easy to install all at once using command. It requires a restart after the installation
- We need to prepare AD schema before we begin the installation. Navigate to the installation folder in an elevated cmd and execute the below command. The account that you are using to prepare schema should be an enterprise admin, schema admin and a domain admin.
- After schema update you need to prepare AD. Since this is going to be our first exchange server we are also adding organization name as “Datanumen Organization”
- After preparation of AD, we need to prepare domain
We have completed the preparation and now ready to install Exchange Server.
- Please navigate the folder where you have downloaded the Exchange 2010 SP3 installation file
- Open the setup.exe file to begin the installation.
- As you see it will also look for some pre-requisites and they were came with Windows 2008 R2 so we can click on step 4.
- Agree the software license and click next twice. You will get an option to select which roles you would like to install. I am selecting the install typical installation as we are going to install HUB, Client Access Server and mailbox role.Management tool will help you to manage these roles. So that will be installed by default
- For internet facing Client Access server we need to provide a URL. We can do that later but I am configuring it right away
- In the next stage it will do the readiness check. If there are any hotfixes were missing, then it will let us know and we need to install it. We need to make sure all sections are completed with green check mark
- Then we need to click install. It take around 15 to 20 minutes to complete the installation
We finally completed the installation of Exchange Server 2010 with SP3. You can directly install Service Pack 3 (SP3) without installing SP1 or 2. As I promised we will continue to learn about many concepts including OST, PST, OST recovery and much more in this series.
Sophia Mao is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including outlook recovery and word recovery software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com