There’s no debate on how important data is to every computer user. Unfortunately, due to various reasons, your data is always at risk of loss or corruption. To be safe, most people create backups for their files. In this article, we are going to look at how to recover .BKF backup files in case you lose or corrupt them.
BKF is the extension on Windows’ backup files. How important are they? Well, if you happen to lose all your files, .BKF files would typically have it all up until the last backup.
However, no file format is completely safe from loss or corruption. Imagine losing your files and decide to restore them from your backup files. Immediately you start the backup process, an error message appears saying that the .BKF file is corrupt. What could have led to this?
- Accidental deletion or modification of the file: You could accidentally delete or interfere with the contents of the .BKF files, thereby corrupting them.
- Sudden power outages: If there is a sudden black out during the backup process, it is likely that the whole file will be lost.
- Hard disk failure: Several hard disk related problems could lead to loss of BKF files. Missing sectors could also mean missing data in some of your BKF files thereby corrupting them.
- System crashes: If the system crashes before the backup process is completed, the file will either be corrupt or lost entirely.
- Viruses and other malicious software: Malware such as viruses and Trojans put the integrity of all your files at risk. If your .BKF files are infected, they will get corrupted or their contents changed.
What do you do now?
Losing .BKF files can be frustrating, especially if you have already lost the root files, meaning you have lost your data entirely. In the past, you would require to find an IT professional majoring in data recovery to get your data back. However, recent improvements in data recovery techniques have made it quite easy to do it yourself with just basic computer skills. Here are some quick steps to get your data back.
- Download NT5backup.cab which is an exe plugin used to restore .BKF files.
- Run .exe for NTbackup.
- A pop-up box stating ‘The backup utility cannot connect to the removable storage service.’ will appear. Click ‘OK’.
- Click ‘Next’ on the welcome box.
- Select ‘restore files and settings’ and click ‘Next’.
- Find the folders that need recovery and click ‘browse’.
- Click on the folders on your left and identify the specific .BKF files to be recovered on the right.
- A complete dialogue box appears. Click on Advanced.
- Find a different path to save the recovered files and click ‘Next’.
- A box showing details of the recovery process will pop up.
The problem with this manual method is that it only works if the files to be recovered are small and available. For larger files or in case the file is lost or deleted, you will need a strong third-party tool like DataNumen BKF Repair. With this, you have the highest chances of recovering your .BKF files, regardless of size or cause of corruption or loss.