When you create an ordinary chart in Excel, you will see all the data and information in this chart. Here we will introduce how to create and filter data in a pivot chart in your Excel.
Even though ordinary chart in Excel can fulfill many tasks, you will still feel that the chart is not flexible enough. For example, you cannot filter data and information directly in the chart. Therefore, to make the chart more intuitive, you can create a pivot chart in your Excel.
Create a Pivot Table Chart
Before you filter data in a chart, you need to create such a pivot chart. And there are two methods that you can use to create such a chart.
- Place the cursor within the target range.
- And then click the tab “Insert” in the toolbar.
- Next click the small arrow under the button “PivotTable”.
- In the drop-down menu, choose the “PivotChart”.
- And then in the new window, choose the place that you want to input the chart. You can either create new worksheet or input the chart in the existing worksheet. Here we will choose a new worksheet.
- When you finish the choice, click the button “OK”. Thus, the new worksheet will appear.
- In the new worksheet, check the option on the field list to show the data and information in the pivot chart.
Apart from the above method, you can also use this method when you have already created a pivot table in the file.
- Place your cursor within the area of the pivot table.
- And then click the tab “Options” in the ribbon.
- Next click the button “PivotChart” in the toolbar.
- In the “Insert Chart” window, choose a chart type that you need.
- And then click “OK”. Thus, this chart will appear in the worksheet.
Next you will see how to filter data and information directly in the pivot chart.
Filter Data in Pivot Chart
In the pivot chart that you have created, you can see some field buttons in it. You can use those buttons in the chart to filter data and information.
- Click the chart. Thus, you will see the “PivotChart Tools” in the ribbon.
- And then click the tab Analyze” in the toolbar.
- Next click the arrow under the button “Field Buttons”.
In the drop-down list, you can see four different types of buttons. Here you can also choose to hide them or show them. Among those buttons, you can filter data by the report filter field button and the axis field button in the chart.
- Now click the report filter field button in the chart. In this example, click the button with the name “Date”.
- And then you will see a new menu. In this menu, you can select the items that you need to show in the chart. When you check the option “Select Multiple Items”, you can select multiple items for the chart.
- When you finish the choice, click “OK”. And the result will immediately appear in the chart. Only the result of the selected seasons will appear in the chart.
- Next click the axis field button in the chart on the left bottom corner.
- The new list is the same when you filter data in a worksheet. Here you can also select the items that you need. Besides, you can even filter data for the chart.
- After that, click “OK” to save the setting. In the pivot chart, you can see the result of your previous choice. The two different criteria will work together in the chart and you don’t need to worry that there will be any mistakes.
From the above steps, you can see that using a pivot chart to analyze data and information can be much easier. The filter feature in pivot chart can help you finish your work much easier. Hence, the next time you need to create a chart, consider creating a pivot chart in your worksheet.
Pay Attention to Rogue Software
You will certainly use software in your computer to finish some tasks. However, now all the software is safe. The rogue software will destroy your system. And at this moment, your Excel files will also be damaged. Thus, you need to repair Excel xls data error as soon as possible. To repair Excel quickly and safely, you can use our trustable third-party tool. This repair tool has been used by many other users and they all get back their data and information.
Anna Ma is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including repair Word doc problem and outlook repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com