If you want to automatically display document information such as word numbers and file size in your Word, you can accomplish that by inserting fields.
Field is an important feature in Word. By default, many fields have been inserted for you through in-built commands, in the meanwhile, you can also create custom field in your Word document. For example, Word maintains a host of different information related to your documents, which you can see properties dialog box or toolbar menus. However, in some circumstances, you may want to display the document information automatically in your document. In this article, we will mainly focus on how to do so.
Update Document Information Changes
Inserting fields to your Word document will give you precise control over dynamic document information changes, such as word numbers, pages and file size. To do it, you can refer to the method in this section.
- Firstly, place your cursor at the place you want to insert the fields to, and switch to “Insert” page, click on “Quick Parts” drop down list and then select “Field”.
- For instance, if we want to insert the number of words as a field, click on “Categories” drop down list and then select “Document Information”, here we choose “NumWords”. Besides, you can also change the format of the inserted field under “Field properties”. Lastly, click “OK”.
- In this way, we can insert these document information as fields at the place we choose, as the arrow points to.
- When the information of your Word document changes, you can update the field by right clicking at it, and then select “Update Field”. Alternatively, you can press “F9” on your keyboard to update it.
Insert Fields into Header or Footer
Sometimes, if your document is a large one that contains a number of pages, you can also insert the field into header or footer, so as to make them visible on every page.
- Double click at the header or footer on your pages, then you can start editing it.
- Follow the same steps as in the last section, and you can then add the custom fields into header or footer.
Retrieve Maximum Data from Your Word File
As is mentioned, we can insert a field to display document information in our Word. Yet, Word also has its shortcomings. For example, it is extremely vulnerable to corruptions. In such situations, you may keep a useful doc repair tool at hand, which can recover your data as much as possible, so as to minimize the loss in file corruption.
Kelly Zhao is a data recovery expert in DataNumen, Inc., which is the world leader in data recovery technologies, including excel recovery and pdf repair software products. For more information visit www.datanumen.com